Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will my new hardware do well?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I bought a new motherboard in the hopes of unlocking this CPU into a Phenom II X4, since this CPU has a very high unlock rate to such. I had no luck, but was able to get a relatively-monstrous overclock without even pushing my voltage.

AMD Athlon II X2 220 (stock 2.8 GHz, OC 3.43 GHz)(6860 BogoMIPS, 64k L1i and L1d, 512k L2, no L3 (even though it DOES exist on the die))
4 GB DDR3-1333 dual-channel (1634 effective)
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB (this can obviously handle itself very well, especially in dolphin)
A 100% real sound processor (not CPU-run this time around)
A 100% real networking card (again, not CPU-run, no compatibility layer)
Xubuntu 12.04 32-bit (but, moments after writing up the OC for my thread asking about 32-bit builds, I found my 13.04 64-bit disk, and might switch to that if the 32-bit-ness becomes too much of a problem)

Will I be able to play wind waker comfortably?
1- I may be wrong with my second point so you may be interested in looking at the WW benchmark.

2- Your CPU is (probably) slow for Wind Waker, especially when in Hyrule Field. In general, AMD CPUs aren´t as fast as Intel CPUs since the last ones have high single-core performance, while the others don´t.
(01-03-2014, 05:12 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]especially when in Hyrule Field.
That's twilight princess.
(01-03-2014, 05:19 AM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-03-2014, 05:12 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]especially when in Hyrule Field.
That's twilight princess.
Nah, Wind Waker has it's own Hyrule Field which is CPU-intense
Well, I'm currently overclocking my CPU as hard as I can, trying to push 4 GHz, will I be able to run Wind Waker well at 4 GHz on a 64-bit installation, with my CPU?
Will run, but pretty much not at fullspeed.
Wind waker is a pretty lightweight game. You should be fine.

I would like to nitpick a bit now if I may:
kinkinkijkin Wrote:I bought a new motherboard in the hopes of unlocking this CPU into a Phenom II X4

That can't be done since you can't unlock the L3 cache as far as I know. The best you can do is unlock it to an athlon II X4.

kinkinkijkin Wrote:A 100% real sound processor (not CPU-run this time around)
A 100% real networking card (again, not CPU-run, no compatibility layer)

These do not matter to dolphin. Neither will reduce cpu usage at all. Network processing generally contributes almost no cpu usage to any applications even ones that heavily utilize a network. Audio processors can only hardware accelerate a limited number of advanced functions on certain APIs. Which very few applications use.

Neither of these are worth listing in your specs for most applications. Although I do appreciate you trying to be thorough.
(01-03-2014, 12:50 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Wind waker is a pretty lightweight game. You should be fine.

I would like to nitpick a bit now if I may:
kinkinkijkin Wrote:I bought a new motherboard in the hopes of unlocking this CPU into a Phenom II X4

That can't be done since you can't unlock the L3 cache as far as I know. The best you can do is unlock it to an athlon II X4.
This specific processor has been reported, in a lot of cases, to be able to have an L3 cache and two extra cores unlocked. It'd be around a Phenom II X4 925 if I had been successful, but I, unfortunately, wasn't.

EDIT: I was about to say that you were more than right, and the game ran smooth as butter, but for some reason, the longer I play wind waker, the slower it performs, even though that never happened before. While the opening camera-thing used to run 15-20 FPS for me at native IR with no AA or AF, and multiple speedhacks, It ran at a constant 31 FPS this time, just with a few hiccups. Then, after talking to grandma, I go back out onto the island, where, before going in, I had 28-31 FPS, but I now had 15-25 FPS with constant hiccuping, which is far worse than I had before.

I'm using 4-588.
Check your temperatures and clock rates. Make sure it's not throttling.
(01-05-2014, 02:40 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Check your temperatures and clock rates. Make sure it's not throttling.
I've turned off all forms of automatic throttling, and the highest temps I've achieved so far was 47/37 (CPU/whatever component MSI calls "mainboard" on the mainboard), after 10 minutes of Prime95.

I was about to edit with all of my settings, but I tried some more settings configurations, and it persisted.
Pages: 1 2 3