Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CPU or Graphics bottleneck?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(01-13-2014, 03:03 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]AMD doesn't like to use proper terminology. The "northbridge" they are referring to is not the actual northbridge, but the L3 cache and IMC. Both of which are located on the cpu. I assure you that you are not overclocking your actual northbridge at all. The memory speed is also not technically linked to the HT reference clock. The bios artificially imposes a ratio but they are in fact set separately at the hardware level. This feature can easily be turned off by setting the ratio to "unlinked". This will allow you to raise/lower everything else without effecting the ram speed. The reference clock is linked to the HT controller. But that's also on the cpu.

So yes. The cpu is the only chip effected by the HT reference clock. Unless you count the HT bus controllers on other chips but I don't. Other chips use other clock signals. Which is not very efficient from a design standpoint but it does make OCing more flexible.

ThorhiantheUltimate Wrote:Can you not lower the multipliers for other parts of the system on Intel Mobos/CPUs?

With a few exceptions, no. Quite frankly there would be no point in doing so anyways. Everything can either be set independently or has no effect on performance.

Thank you for the info. The only reason why I was asking if you could lower the multiplier for other parts of the system was to keep everything at a reasonable level while you raised the base clock to achieve higher Processor speeds. Ill have to look for that option to unlink my RAM and the CPU base clock, since I haven't seen such a thing while going through my BIOS (well, really its a UEFI).
Pages: 1 2 3