Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wind waker running very slow, help me!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi, first of all, I speak french, so my english isn't perfect, but don't worry I'll understand you. (but you might not understand me...)

I know alot about computers and windows, but I don't know alot about emulators. I'm using Dolphin 4.0.2 x64 (the latest I think).
I'm trying to play The legend of Zelda wind waker at full speed, but I can't, so I'm asking you what should I do? (dolphin's configuration, etc...)

My computer's specs:
-Laptop
-A10-4600m 2.30
-7670m 1gb + 7660g
-6gb ram
(If there is anything else you want to know, ask me)

My current settings: http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013...ration.jpg

How the game is running: http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013...972-11.jpg

Sometimes (1\2) when I launch the game it is running 100%, sometimes 50%, I don't know why... And when it is running 100%, if I minimize it for checking facebook, or anything else, when I come back to the game, it is running 50%...

Thank you!
Your hardware is not fast enough to run this game with the current default settings.

Close dolphin. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Dolphin (or wherever you installed dolphin). Then to \Sys\GameSettings

Locate GZLE01.ini and open it in notepad.
Change DSPHLE = False to DSPHLE = True
Change EFBToTextureEnable = False to EFBToTextureEnable = True

Save then reopen dolphin. It should be faster now. These settings will cause issues however in exchange for improving performance. Random crashes may happen during cutscenes and certain visual features like the pictobox may not work. It is the price you pay for using speedhacks.

You could also try checking your laptop cpu/gpu clock rates and temperatures to verify that nothing is overheating.
Thank you for replying, I tried but my fps and game speed didn't change Sad
And I think my computer is overheating: http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013...3-temp.jpg
Actually, no. Both temps are between the recommended manufacturer temps. Even with that, you have to cool them down a bit...

EDIT: ... since they´re near the max limit.
"Max" means the maximum value recommended for the hardware? I was thinking the maximum value I reached... So my processor can go up to 120-130c without problem? I mean, I can boil water at this temp...
Normally, I have a cooling thing for my laptop (cooler master sf-19, I changed the fans inside for 3x better ones) but it was on my legs when I took this screenshot.
@DJBarry004 No , what manufacturer would be stupid enough to do that ?
Quote:So my processor can go up to 120-130c without problem?
You will kill your laptop
Your laptop is a multi-media one which is known to run very hot when gaming . Multi-media laptop has only 1 fansink for both CPU and dedicated GPU while gaming laptop (1200$ or higher) has dual fansink for both of them , 2 is much better than 1. Safe temp for both CPU and GPU are somewhere between 60-85 degree celsius (as low as possible)
Quote:I have a cooling thing for my laptop (cooler master sf-19, I changed the fans inside for 3x better ones)
Laptop cooling pad are all snakeoil / useless / waste of money. You have to replace the old / dead thermal compound with a new aftermarket one such as Arctic MX-4 or IC diamond 7 carat on both CPU and GPU . In order to do that , you must disassemble / teardown your laptop
@Trexiic - If you want some more speed, you should try running this game with HLE audio. Even though you have HLE audio set in your Audio settings these settings will be overridden by .ini configuration files. It may say you're using HLE audio, but Dolphin actually forces you to use LLE audio by default (which is more demanding on the CPU). Right-click this game in Dolphin, then go to Properties, then check DSP HLE emulation (fast). You should see a speedup now.

Beware, there are issues with using HLE audio in Wind Waker. You can get around them by setting your Framelimit to Auto or 60. See here for more info: https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...ay_Screens
@Shonumi

Read my earlier post. I already showed him how to do that. It made no difference for him. His system is overheating, big time. I don't even know how his system is still operating at those temps.

Trexiic Wrote:"Max" means the maximum value recommended for the hardware? I was thinking the maximum value I reached...

No. DJBarry was wrong, you were right. CPUID reports the minimum temperature, maximum temperature, and average temperature over a given length of time by continuously monitoring the data from the temperature probes.

Trexiic Wrote:So my processor can go up to 120-130c without problem?

No. Anything above 85C is bad for a laptop.
>141ºC

...I'd worry much more about it catching fire than Dolphin performance at that kind of temperature. Toss the laptop, AMD CPUs aren't that good for Dolphin anyway.

NatchVi: My semi-well-known MacBook Air always exceeds that when running Dolphin – it hovers around 200ºF (fuck conversions), even after I applied some Arctic Silver 5 a week or three ago. Doesn't even throttle – it seems to stay at or near its ~2.6 GHz dual-core boost the whole time. Either Apple nailed the thermals on this specific model or I got lucky in the Foxconn CPU-cooling lottery.
It won't catch fire but it could melt the plastic. Polyethelyne melts at 110C-130C depending on the density and Polypropylene at 170C. Not sure what material laptops are made of but I would think polypropylene to to be more likely. Still need another 30C to melt it. I would be amazed if the package temps could hit 170C without the system shutting off though.

pauldacheez Wrote:NatchVi: My semi-well-known MacBook Air always exceeds that when running Dolphin – it hovers around 200ºF (fuck conversions), even after I applied some Arctic Silver 5 a week or three ago. Doesn't even throttle – it seems to stay at or near its ~2.6 GHz dual-core boost the whole time. Either Apple nailed the thermals on this specific model or I got lucky in the Foxconn CPU-cooling lottery.

I didn't say it would throttle, I said it was bad for the laptop. As in it will shorten the lifespan of the hardware.
Pages: 1 2 3