Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Laptop questions ^_^
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Shanidar

Hi! Just wanna ask a simple question... Wanna get a new lappy (my old one is just... well... old) which I'm gonna use for work (mostly PS/Premiere/3DS max) but I found some good offer and wondering if it will play some Wii Games (like Pandora's Tower or Xenoblade Chronicles). Well... the specs are as follows:

DELL 15.6'' Inspiron 15 3537
Intel® Core™ i7-4500U 1.8GHz Haswell (3 GHz Turbo, 2 Cores)
8GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Radeon HD 8850M 2GB DDR5

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.
Why an ultra-low voltage i7 Haswell instead of the (i7) 4xxx MQ Haswell? Ultra-low voltage CPUs are not a good option when it comes to Dolphin.

Shanidar

(12-27-2013, 03:54 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Why an ultra-low voltage i7 Haswell instead of the (i7) 4xxx MQ Haswell? Ultra-low voltage CPUs are not a good option when it comes to Dolphin.
Well... I kinda have a limited budget for the new laptop... and the ones that have a 4xxx MQ Haswell cost a bit more. (and the cheapest one I found has a GPU that shouldn't be as good as the HD 8850M (by that, I mean the GT 740M).
(12-27-2013, 04:02 AM)Shanidar Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2013, 03:54 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Why an ultra-low voltage i7 Haswell instead of the (i7) 4xxx MQ Haswell? Ultra-low voltage CPUs are not a good option when it comes to Dolphin.
Well... I kinda have a limited budget for the new laptop... and the ones that have a 4xxx MQ Haswell cost a bit more. (and the cheapest one I found has a GPU that shouldn't be as good as the HD 8850M (by that, I mean the GT 740M).
Well, well; I see. Unluckily for you, Xenoblade won´t be very playable as you are expecting; however you´ll be able to at least run it. Don´t know about the other game.

Oh, and before playing, set OpenGL as the video backend and enable Vertex Streaming Hack (lucky you), since that brings speedups.

It´s not that the hack will make the game to run at fullspeed but it can shut the lags down a bit.
Pandora's Tower is actually fairly demanding, so the CPU you listed won't cut it. It should suffice for number of light games (WiiWare games for example). You might be able to find another laptop with a better CPU and a comparable GPU. Where are you shopping from and what's the.budget?

Shanidar

Well... I'm from Romania so I was looking at offers from Romanian retailers... But the budget I have for the laptop is around 900$. The one I listed (the Dell) costs around 830$.
Laptops in that price range will not play the more demanding games (both of the games you listed are quite demanding) at good speeds. A desktop is the only way to play the more demanding games at fullspeed in that price range.