Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Intel i7-4800MQ + nVidia GTX 780M SLI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Igor

Hello guys.
I've made account to ask how games will run on this configuration.

I'll get my new notebook (Alienware 18) in next few days so i was wandering will my CPU be good enough to run games at full speed.
It's Intel Core i7-4800MQ 2.7GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4-Core / 8 Threads (Haswell)
GPU is nVidia GTX 780M SLI 4GB GDDR5
16GB RAM (2x8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz)

Games i would play are Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Monster Hunter and such.

Thank you in advance.
yea your good to go
3.7ghz is the single-core speed. You're more likely to use the dual cores so that's 3.6ghz. It's a haswell so it should be pretty good for a lot of games on HLE. Mario might be a bit tough.

BTW, if you're getting a high end gaming laptop, you might want to consider a Falcon Northwest too (and maybe upgrade the processor to a 4900 MQ to get that little bit of extra processing which is what dolphin really cares about).
Hold on there! Specify which titles of the series you are going to play.

Anyway, it should be strong enough for most games.

Igor

Well i've bought laptop already and to be honest i didn't like look of Falcon Northwest. I was thinking about 4900MQ but i don't think its worth to pay 300$ more for 100MHz. 4900MQ has 2MB cache more but don't know is that important for Dolphin.

Well i've finished almost all Zelda games and i was thinking to play Skyward Sword. And latest Mario games.
(12-27-2013, 05:13 AM)Igor Wrote: [ -> ]Well i've bought laptop already and to be honest i didn't like look of Falcon Northwest. I was thinking about 4900MQ but i don't think its worth to pay 300$ more for 100MHz. 4900MQ has 2MB cache more but don't know is that important for Dolphin.

Well i've finished almost all Zelda games and i was thinking to play Skyward Sword. And latest Mario games.
What do you mean by "latest"? Mario Galaxy 2? Mario Party 8?
Lol, what the hell, he is buying a freaking BEAST of a laptop, an i7 Haswell quad-core and Dual GPU... If there's any game here that can't be maxed out without any hardware trouble, I kill myself, lol.
Quote:If there's any game here that can't be maxed out without any hardware trouble, I kill myself, lol.
You should kill yourself lol because The Last Story , Zelda TP (Hyrule Field only , EFB Copies to Ram) , Metroid Prime Series , Baten Kaitos (LLE backend) and some other demanding games (can't remember atm).... do require i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz or better CPU . And GTX 780M won't cut it if you max out Dolphin (not even close) . For Example : 4x Internal Resolution (2560x2112) + 4x SSAA = 4xIR x 2 = 8xIR (5120x4224 which is much higher than 4k resolution and 9xSSAA is the highest level of AA , not 4xSSAA)
Dolphin is a dual core application , GTX 780M isn't as fast as GTX 780 (only on par with GTX 760) , i7 4800MQ is a locked multiplier CPU (Base on Dolphin Benchmark , i7 Quad = i5 Quad in Dolphin ) . Therefore , it should be much slower than i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz
P.S : locked multiplier = not ready for overclocking
Well. So why Wii can run them with a ultra noob hardware compared to that laptop. May be Dolphin is horribly optimized (don't take me wrong, I love what this program does, though I can't still play, the games run faster than usuall, and I don't know what I gotta do, but I've already created a post in support).
Most Laptop aren't as fast as 700$ desktop (i5 4670k + Z87 mobo + GTX 650 or better GPU) . The exceptional laptop with unlocked CPU : i7 4930MX will cost an arm , a leg and a child
Im planning to get new laptop for Dolphin in 2015 (maybe Broadwell or Skylake . Probably the later one ) because those current laptop aren't fast enough to run 95% game full speed with "correct settings" and extreme edition CPU is out of the question (cost too much money)
I live in multiple cities due to work , desktop is out of the question
Pages: 1 2