Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How would Dolphin play on this rig?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Gamerz

I'm thinking on making a new rig, the one that i have right now poorly plays emulator games so i thought its time to update.

The built that i want to make would have:

MSI Nvidia Geforece GTX 650 1 GB http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N650-1GD5...cification
AMD FX-6300 3.5 Ghz

Would use the same 4GB RAM i have.

Would i be able to play all of the Wii games on it?
Atm i'm using 1280x1024 res, would probably upgrade to 1366x768 which is 720p (iirc).

If this is the wrong place to post this then move it there where it needs to be.
And i have read the stickies, haven't seen a no for ''Can my PC run Dolphin'' threads.

Cheers~
Which games? Specify them. Also, be aware that AMD CPUs aren´t as strong (and fast) as Intel CPUs, even if they are running at the same clock speed.

Anyway, you ma want to take a look to the Dolphin CPU Benchmark (the real thread´s title is Legend Of Zelda Wind Waker benchmark or something like that).
All AMD CPU are weak at single threaded performance . Dolphin is a dual core application
Base on Dolphin Benchmark , an outdated low-end Pentium Ivy Bridge G2030 @ 3.0GHz is as fast as FX-6350 @ 3.9GHz which is faster than FX-6300 @ 3.5GHz
Latest low-mid range Pentium Haswell G3220 @ 3.0GHz should be 20->30% faster than G2030 . Therefore , even if you overclock FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz , it can not be on par with the Pentium G3220
You will get what you pay for :
1) Low budget PC : Pentium Haswell G3220 + H81 mobo
2) Good Enough PC: i3 4130 + same
3) High-end PC : i5 4670k + Z87 mobo

As for the graphic card , you should buy EVGA GTX 650 . In term of durability , EVGA and Gigabyte are top tier , Asus is one step behind , XFX and MSI are in the middle (If you know what i mean)
With dolphin it's all about the processor. The above post says it well.

As for a graphics card, you may want to consider integrated graphics until you save up a bit more money, and really raise the processor budget in turn...maybe even that 4670k: The Intel 4600 integrated may not play modern pc games, but i'd wager it has no problem with dolphin @ 1.5X or even 2X native resolution (fine for 720P) based on what i have seen. The jump from 1X to 1.5X is actually huge imo.

By doing so you would get better emulator performance (less cpu bottleneck) while still having the capacity for adding a good graphics card and aftermarket cooling in the future.

Gamerz

Thanks guys for the infomation.

What about this CPU then: Intel i5-4570 3.2GHz ?

Would use the MSI B85M-E33 Mobo.

Same graphics, GTX 650.
(12-26-2013, 01:38 AM)Gamerz Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys for the infomation.

Same graphics, GTX 650.
Should be fine for most games in dolphin, but it would be a bit anemic for 1080p pc gaming.

Gamerz

(12-26-2013, 07:43 AM)werewolfyman Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2013, 01:38 AM)Gamerz Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys for the infomation.

Same graphics, GTX 650.
Should be fine for most games in dolphin, but it would be a bit anemic for 1080p pc gaming.
My resolution is 1280x1024, would play in 4:3 mode and some of them in 16:9 in 1280x800 resolution.
Will probably get a new monitor but its gonna be 1366x768 resolution.
Its gonna be fine right?

Gamerz

Ohh and on the benchmark i get from 30-60 FPS sometimes it lags for a second on 3.0 version
But on 4.0.2 the FPS drops to 3-6 and i can't play any games on it.
With the current PC i have now.
Gamerz Wrote:And i have read the stickies, haven't seen a no for ''Can my PC run Dolphin'' threads.

We don't sticky those because we get dozens of these types of posts/threads a week. Trying to contain them all in a single thread would be a nightmare.

Instead of looking for a sticky just use the forums search function next time. We've had countless threads of people asking the same question with the same cpu and getting the same answer so you could have found your answer that way.

Gamerz Wrote:My resolution is 1280x1024, would play in 4:3 mode and some of them in 16:9 in 1280x800 resolution.
Will probably get a new monitor but its gonna be 1366x768 resolution.
Its gonna be fine right?

Yes.

Gamerz Wrote:But on 4.0.2 the FPS drops to 3-6 and i can't play any games on it.
With the current PC i have now.

Either overheating, GPU stuck in idle mode, or slower default settings (the newer versions default to LLE and efb copy to ram in wind waker). Or a combination. But that's a future question for another thread. I'm not sure if you even want to investigate this further since you're building a new PC soon anyways.