Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How demanding are these games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On a scale of 1-10.

Gamecube

Eternal Darkness
Killer 7
Metroid Prime 1 and 2
Paper Mario TTYD
Resident Evil
Twilight Princess
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2

Wii

Metroid Prime 3
Metroid Other M
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Super Paper Mario
Xenoblade Chronicles

How can I expect to run these games? Specs in sig.
Mario Galaxies, Xenoblade: super demanding.

Overclock that CPU up to (uh, 3/3.5 GHz) and you should be good to go.

DonĀ“t know about the others.
You can't overclock a locked multiplier CPU . Anyway make sure you read the performance guide
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-laptop-performance-guide
(12-20-2013, 10:36 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Mario Galaxies, Xenoblade: super demanding.

Yeah, no. Xenoblade Chronicles hasn't been super demanding since LLE audio was required for reasonably enjoyable gameplay. Any CPU equivalent to a 3.3~3.4GHz will run it just fine now with HLE audio. Even at that, it's nowhere near as demanding as SMG1 or 2 with LLE audio or The Last Story.

@Oceania - If you want more info, check out the Dolphin wiki to see if any of the Testing Entries have results from similarly configured hardware. I can tell you that the Metroid Prime games (all of them) are very demanding. Your hardware won't run them 100%, and might not reach enjoyable speeds. Metroid: Other M should fare better though. The Paper Mario games are fairly average in terms of being demanding.
Thanks for the info guys, Metroid games are the games Im most interested in but the others I would really like to play as well. Metroid 1 GC version ran smoothly on the first area but does drop frames occasionally, is OpenGL still faster for Nvidia GPUs than DX11?

Also can I expect the rest of the games to run smoothly (besides SMG 1 and 2 and Xenoblade)?
Quote:... is OpenGL still faster for Nvidia GPUs than DX11?
Yes, if you enable Vertex Streaming Hack.
Depends on the game and settings. Even with VSH openGL isn't always faster.

Oemenia Wrote:Also can I expect the rest of the games to run smoothly (besides SMG 1 and 2 and Xenoblade)?

You listed a lot of games. I would be willing to wager that nobody here (in this thread) has all of them. I can tell you that MP3, MP2, MP1, SMG2, SMG1, and xenoblade are all extremely demand. TP is moderately demanding and likely won't run well either. Viewtiful joe 1/2 are very lightweight and will run well. As for the rest I cannot say as I do not have them.
(12-31-2013, 06:44 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Depends on the game and settings. Even with VSH openGL isn't always faster.

Oemenia Wrote:Also can I expect the rest of the games to run smoothly (besides SMG 1 and 2 and Xenoblade)?

You listed a lot of games. I would be willing to wager that nobody here (in this thread) has all of them. I can tell you that MP3, MP2, MP1, SMG2, SMG1, and xenoblade are all extremely demand. TP is moderately demanding and likely won't run well either. Viewtiful joe 1/2 are very lightweight and will run well. As for the rest I cannot say as I do not have them.
Seconded the part of the Mario Galaxies and the Metroids. Tongue