Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Idle clock speed for Nvidia GPU.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Checking Nvidia Inspector, I can't get above 200MHz on my Nvidia 640m. Dolphin clearly isn't using it at all. I've read through several threads about this issue, but I haven't actually seen anyone get an answer that worked. I know I've tried just about everything personally and it just won't make any difference. I've upped the IR, I've changed the texture cache all the way to safe, as well as in the middle, and I've gone into Nvidia Control Panel and set Dolphin to only use my graphics card. However, regardless of all these attempts, Nvidia Inspector is still reading idle speeds on Dolphin, and the Taskbar item still reads, "Nvidia GPU activity: None." I've tried DirectX9, DirectX11, and OpenGL, and none of them will read anything from my GPU.

So I was wondering if anyone has actually figured this out.

Thanks, and have a nice day!

Sub-Zero

I have the exact problem with my GTX 680, and I even put my card on nvidia control panel to "maximum performance" its still in idle when playing.. Would really love if someone has a fix for this..
The two of you have different issues.

@Saiskar

Have you tried this (part 2): https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide

@Sub-zero

Settings in drivers?
Settings in dolphin?

Screenshots preferred.

TheGreatHumanDolphin

I'm having the exact same problem. I have an Intel4000 and an NVidia Geforce GT 630M 2GB GPU. When I switch to my NVIDIA I am getting a serious decline in performance, laggy and low vps/fps and generally terrible performance.

As soon as I switch back to integrated intel graphics my performance is great again. Why the hell is this? I have new generation i5 with 8GB RAM too so I'm pretty sure it's not a specs issue. My GEFORCE just doesn't seem to want to bothr getting going for Dolphin and I have no idea why. Help!
It's possible that your laptop is overheating . Keep in mind that dedicated GPU has its own power consumption . Integrated Intel HD 4000 power consumption is low since it's inside CPU chip
Most multi-media laptop can't handle the heat when both CPU and dedicated GPU are used at full load . That's why gaming laptop exists
i5 3210M + Intel HD 4000 = 35W
i5 3210M + GT 630M = 30~35 + 35 = 65~70W !
Higher power comsumption = Higher temperature , need extra cooling solution

TheGreatHumanDolphin

(03-01-2014, 10:25 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]It's possible that your laptop is overheating . Keep in mind that dedicated GPU has its own power consumption . Integrated Intel HD 4000 power consumption is low since it's inside CPU chip
Most multi-media laptop can't handle the heat when both CPU and dedicated GPU are used at full load . That's why gaming laptop exists
i5 3210M + Intel HD 4000 = 35W
i5 3210M + GT 630M = 30~35 + 35 = 65~70W !
Higher power comsumption = Higher temperature , need extra cooling solution

Thank you for your help, could very well be right. Getting some seriously high temperatures at the minute that have been worrying me. However, and I am talking through my pipe here so feel free to shoot me down, I would have thought that over heating would happen over time played where as my performance issues are affecting me straight away, even if the laptop has been off for a few hours. Is that irrelevant? Have I just embarrassed myself? I have haven't I, I've done it again. God damn it Evan, every fucking time.

So I need to buy a cooling system right?
What are your CPU/GPU temperatures while dolphin is running?

And no overheating doesn't take any set amount of time to occur. If the cooling is bad enough it can occur instantly as soon as you begin running a stressful application. With high power electronics it only takes a few nanoseconds to heat up the entire system.

External laptop cooling systems don't do much to improve internal temperatures. For that you need to disassemble the laptop, remove any dust buildup, remove any old thermal compound with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth, and apply new thermal compound (preferable a carbon nanoparticle based compound). If it's still overheating then the cooling system design is just not good enough to handle those components and you're shit out of luck.

TheGreatHumanDolphin

(03-07-2014, 07:40 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]What are your CPU/GPU temperatures while dolphin is running?

And no overheating doesn't take any set amount of time to occur. If the cooling is bad enough it can occur instantly as soon as you begin running a stressful application. With high power electronics it only takes a few nanoseconds to heat up the entire system.

External laptop cooling systems don't do much to improve internal temperatures. For that you need to disassemble the laptop, remove any dust buildup, remove any old thermal compound with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth, and apply new thermal compound (preferable a carbon nanoparticle based compound). If it's still overheating then the cooling system design is just not good enough to handle those components and you're shit out of luck.

Thanks again. I'll check that out and see if it helps.