Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my pc ready for dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just wondering if there's anything I could do to improve my framerate in a few specific games. Those games being LoZ Skyward Sword, LoZ Twilight Princess (wii), LoZ Wind Waker, and finally Super Mario Galaxy. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

pc specs: i3-3220@3.3ghz
gtx 560 oc 2gb
8 gb 1333 mhz ram
windows 8 x64
dolphin 4.0.2
Using the OpenGL backend with the Vertex Streaming Hack under the Graphics tab (only visible under OpenGL) gives a speedup over Directx.
You will probably run into a CPU bottleneck with Super Mario Galaxy, as it is pretty demanding.
You will definitely run into a slowdown in Twilight Princess later on in the game when you get into Hyrule Field. Its a known bug. Use the game-specific fix for it under game properties.
Skyward Sword needs a real Wiimote Plus
I've been trying all sorts of different settings, and I'm starting to think that it's a cpu bottleneck all around, I've seen that people with weaker gpu's than me getting better performance because they have an i5 or higher
Quote:I'm starting to think that it's a cpu bottleneck all around
Yup , those game are all demanding games which require OCed i5 . Dolphin doesn't care much about GPU as long as you not use ridiculous high resolution , AA . Even an integrated GPU like Intel HD 4600 is fine for 1->2.5x Internal Resolution , no AA , 16x AF
Since your i3 is a locked multiplier CPU , it probably come with a locked mobo (can't OC)
You should buy a new mobo like MSI Z87 G41 or G45 + i5 4670k + Aftermarket Cooler like CM Evo 212 and push that CPu to 4.3GHz
Keep in mind that 4th gen Haswell is 20 or even 30% faster than 3rd gen Ivy Bridge in Dolphin
KHg8m3r: The ZTP speedhack's enabled by default for ZTP right now, but it's gonna be removed sometime in the near future, FYI: https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/is...il?id=6875
Thanks for the update on that. I always manually turned it from the half check to the full check, and would get a few extra fps.
(12-14-2013, 01:09 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:You should buy a new mobo like MSI Z87 G41 or G45 + i5 4670k + Aftermarket Cooler like CM Evo 212 and push that CPu to 4.3GHz
Keep in mind that 4th gen Haswell is 20 or even 30% faster than 3rd gen Ivy Bridge in Dolphin
Well I know where my income tax is going xD I built my system in July with a 600 dollar budget and my friend sold me a gpu later. I could have gotten an i5 instead but then I wouldn't be able to play pc games, plus I wasn't concerned about emulation at the time. What about a stock i5-3570k until I can get a decent cooler?
In Skyward Sword I average between 25-30 fps
Wind Waker: 28-30
Twilight Princess: 28-30
Mario Galaxy: 21-27
A stock 3570K should be a pretty solid improvement, but without a Z77 motherboard you won't be able to overclock it, AFAIK.
Like i said , 3rd gen i5 3570k is much slower than 4th gen i5 4670k . i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz is on par with i5 3570k @ 5.0GHz in Dolphin Benchmark and you won't be able to overclock i5 3570k pass the limit : 4.5GHz without using insanely high vcore (damage CPU) . It would be wasteful if you paired an unlocked multiplier CPU with a locked mobo (H61/H77/B75)
(12-14-2013, 11:12 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]It would be wasteful if you paired an unlocked multiplier CPU with a locked mobo (H61/H77/B75)
Mine's a B75. I suppose I'll just go for the fourth gen when the time comes. Not too pressed about it now. What will a fourth gen i5 and an unlocked mobo run me? Looks like just under 350. And that's bare minimum. Plus an aftermarket heatsink will probably put me around 375-400$ oh boy xD
Pages: 1 2