Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: metroid prime 3: corruption?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Should I be lagging in metroid prime 3 corruption or is it likely my settings? I have an i5-2400 and hd 6870. I can run galaxy games around 40+fps with 4x IR but prime is much slower, enough to make it not worth playing on dolphin. Is it that much more demanding and in what areas cpu or gpu? I`m interested in running skyward sword too, what can i expect at 4xIR? I was hoping around 40+fps.
The Metroid games are pretty demanding. Your CPU can't handle it. You would need an overclocked Haswell i5/i7 to play at good speeds.
You need a real Wiimote Plus to play Skyward Sword.

Try to bring down the IR to 3 and see if you can get any extra speed. Also, make sure you use the OpenGL backend. Its a lot faster than Directx.
These *are* demanding games, on both the CPU and GPU. If lowering the IR to 3x (or even lower) doesn't improve things much (which is semi-likely), you're CPU-bottlenecked, thus you'd need a faster CPU to run these games at full speed. The i5-2400 is about 80% of the way there; if you have a motherboard that allows overclocking, I'd recommend you swap it out with an i5-2500K and slap on a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Non-hardware-upgrade recommendations include using OpenGL *on a current development build of Dolphin*, as recently neobrain re-enabled the use of an AMD-specific OpenGL extension that purely speeds up transfers between the CPU and GPU.
thanks for the replies.

I tried lowering the IR and there was no serious improvement. Judging by what you guys have said, i'm probably cpu bottle necked then? If I want to get a more consistent higher fps do you think 3570k would be enough? I want to avoid having to buy a new board for haswell. But then again I would need a good cooler to overclock the 3570k. Any recommendations as to what cooler I should get and how far I would need to overclock to get a stable high fps?
3570K's fine too. The usual two coolers I recommend are the Noctua NH-D14 and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, the latter being an inexpensive-but-effective cooler and the former being two of the latter duct-taped together for if you need crazier thermal performance.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd14
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-mast...212e20pkr2
(12-13-2013, 08:04 AM)phoenixlight Wrote: [ -> ]If I want to get a more consistent higher fps do you think 3570k would be enough?

It definitely would. You'll have to overclock for Metroid Prime games though.

Btw Hyper 212 EVO is just fine for this CPU
My 3570K does not run this game at fullspeed at stock. You will need to overclock and even then it may not run it at fullspeed everywhere. I would recommend haswell for this game if you have enough money.

Leoz96

Sorry for interrupting the discussion but I own a very similar system, same graphics card but instead of the i5 I'm using an AMD Fx-6300 running at 3.5 Ghz. The game is completely unplayable, at 1280x720 with native resolution, not even the title screen runs at a constant 60 fps, in game it runs at around 20-30 fps. Is the game really that CPU intensive or is it the CPU itself that isn't up to task? I can play stuff like Brawl just fine at 1080p. Thanks in advance.
Base on Dolphin Benchmark , FX-6300 @ 4.5GHz is still slower than i5 2400 .
Dolphin is a dual core application . AMD CPUs are weak at performance per core (single threaded performance is extremely terrible despite the high clock speed)

Leoz96

Thanks, can I expect it to work a bit better on future updates or should I just give up on my cpu? Undecided
Pages: 1 2