Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Selecting new PC for dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone,

Recently I have been searching for a new computer which can support dolphin.
Unfortunately I am pretty lost in all details and requirements. I was hoping you guys could help.

I want to especially want to play, Zelda Wind Waker, Zelda Twilight Princess, and Zelda Skyward Sword.
The games do not have to be played in super hd, I just want them to be playable, like a normal game. Everything else
is extra.

Here is what I game up with.

• AMD Llano A4-5300 3,4GHz DualCore
  • 4 GB RAM
  • 500 GB Satall Hard Disk
  • AMD Radeon HD 7480D 1GB
My other processor options:
AMD FM2 A6-6400K Dual Core 3,9GHz
AMD FM2 A8-6600K Quad Core 3,9GHz
AMD FM2 A10-6800K Quad Core 4,1GHz

My other videocard options:
AMD Radeon HD6670 X2 2GB
AMD Radeon 7770 1GB
AMD Radeon HD 7850 1GB
Nvidia GTX660 2GB

What would be the best price/quality combination?
I was hoping could help and told everything properly. Please excuse me if I didn't.
I think twilight princess is going to be way more demanding than you think on the CPU. The issue is this wierd programming it has on hyrule field that causes ridiculously low FPS in my experience.

And AFAIK intel CPUs are better suited to Dolphin even where their clock speeds are lower. I think you have some research ahead of you and probably raising the budget a bit on the CPU front. Everything else shouldn't adversely affect performance. That said, I've played Wind Waker on gamecube and Wind Waker HD on Wii U, and the improvements it makes go far beyond just higher resolution. The hero mode is unlocked right away so you can play the game with some actual challenge (which the original lacked), the soundtrack has been remastered and is even more amazing, and small gameplay improvements are everywhere. I don't think dolphin is the best choice for that game anymore for those reasons.
(12-11-2013, 07:01 PM)GranteedEV Wrote: [ -> ]I think twilight princess is going to be way more demanding than you think on the CPU. The issue is this wierd programming it has on hyrule field that causes ridiculously low FPS in my experience.

And AFAIK intel CPUs are better suited to Dolphin even where their clock speeds are lower. I think you have some research ahead of you and probably raising the budget a bit on the CPU front. Everything else shouldn't adversely affect performance. That said, I've played Wind Waker on gamecube and Wind Waker HD on Wii U, and the improvements it makes go far beyond just higher resolution. The hero mode is unlocked right away so you can play the game with some actual challenge (which the original lacked), the soundtrack has been remastered and is even more amazing, and small gameplay improvements are everywhere. I don't think dolphin is the best choice for that game anymore for those reasons.
Thank you for the reply!
Do you think AMD FX -4100 Quad Core, with an Nvidia GTX 650 suffice?
Or should I rather go for an AMD FX 6300 / 8320 and an Asus ATI 770?
What do you think is the best combination?
</big></big></big>
Those CPUs are weak at single threaded performance . Dolphin is a dual core application ....Therefore those CPUs won't run demanding games like Zelda TP , Zelda SS well (not even close )
Dolphin Benchmark
Just tell us about your budget (how much you can spend) . We will give you the custom build for free . OEM/ rebuilt PC are overpriced ....
(12-11-2013, 08:14 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Those CPUs are weak at single threaded performance . Dolphin is a dual core application ....Therefore those CPUs won't run demanding games like Zelda TP , Zelda SS well (not even close )
Dolphin Benchmark
Just tell us about your budget (how much you can spend) . We will give you the custom build for free . OEM/ rebuilt PC are overpriced ....
Okay I guess I have a lot more to learn. My budget is between 500-600 euros.
i5 4670k and i7 4770k are top of the line CPU for Dolphin atm . Base on Dolphin benchmark : i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz = i7 4770k @ 3.4GHz = 1.5 x FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz
Price (in dollar) : $595 without case , HDD/SSD (you can reuse your case and HDD)
i5 4670k ($226)
MSI Z87 G41 ($117)
EVGA 500B 500W ($45)
EVGA GTX 650 GDDR5 ($115)
Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz 2x2GB ($55)
Arctic Cooling MX-4 ($7)
Cooler Master Hyper T4 ($30)
(12-11-2013, 08:38 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]i5 4670k and i7 4770k are top of the line CPU for Dolphin atm . Base on Dolphin benchmark : i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz = i7 4770k @ 3.4GHz = 1.5 x FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz
Price (in dollar) : $595 without case , HDD/SSD (you can reuse your case and HDD)
i5 4670k ($226)
MSI Z87 G41 ($117)
EVGA 500B 500W ($45)
EVGA GTX 650 GDDR5 ($115)
Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz 2x2GB ($55)
Arctic Cooling MX-4 ($7)
Cooler Master Hyper T4 ($30)
Dear admin, thanks for your time, this is really helpful.
But I don't understand, are you offering to build this for free and me just paying for the components?
Is there a site I could visit?
Yup , you have to pay the components of course . I'm not generous , you know . I only point out the components you will need
You have to put everything together to make the best bang for buck PC . Common , Building PC is not really hard . There is alot of tutorial video on youtube . Prebuilt PC will cost twice as much .

Where do you live ? Have you ever used Amazon online shopping ? You know ... Amazon is the largest marketplace where internet users can shop almost every kind of product online at very affordable rate.
(12-11-2013, 09:25 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Yup , you have to pay the components of course . I'm not generous , you know . I only point out the components you will need
You have to put everything together to make the best bang for buck PC . Common , Building PC is not really hard . There is alot of tutorial video on youtube . Prebuilt PC will cost twice as much .

Where do you live ? Have you ever used Amazon online shopping ? You know ... Amazon is the largest marketplace where internet users can shop almost every kind of product online at very affordable rate.
Haha, yeah that would be to good to be true Tongue
However, I really didn't expect somebody to point out al the components I need so thank you!
I have used amazon once I guess. I will check about the delivery cost etc.
I live in the Netherlands (Europe) and there are certain import cost.
Checking youtube for tutorials is a really good idea, and I would like to build it myself.
Thank you for your time and helpWink

PS. Just to be sure, you think I will be able to play the zelda games with these components right?
Quote:you think I will be able to play the zelda games with these components right?
Why not ? i5 4670k is the fastest CPU for Dolphin right now
Zelda TP - Hyrule Field later part only - requirement is abit insane though . You may need to overclock i5 4670k to 4.2GHz to run that part full speed . That's why i include aftermarket cooler (Cooler Master) and aftermarket thermal compound (Arctic cooling) in the build
If the shipping cost was too much for you , you could check those components at your local store
If you know any local online shopping site , just show me , i can choose components through Google Translate
Pages: 1 2