Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my laptop good enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I just bought a gaming computer which is going to be used for gaming, movies, and school work, and I was wondering if my specs are good enough. Also if you tell me how good these games would run(if you so kindly indicate estimated fps/speed)
Here are the games I want to play:
-Zelda Twilight Princess
-One piece Unlimited Adventure, Unlimited Cruise(P1 & P2)
-Zelda Skyward sword

Laptop: Ideapad Y510p
Here is my laptop specs:

-Processor:4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB, 3.4GHz w/Max turbo frequency)
-GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT755M 2GB
-Up to 16GB DDR3 memory
-Up to 1TB HDD + 24GB SSD

Also let me know of any suggestions you guys might have.
The Haswell i5/i7 quad laptop processors are the best laptop processors you can have.
Your GT 775 will be able to handle between 2x and 3x internal resolution (aka upscaling = at 1080 or above) depending on how graphically intense the game is.

-Twilight Princess will run fine, but will run into slowdowns later on in Hyrule Field (use the ZTP Hack in the games properties to fix)
-Skyward sword requires a real Wiimote Plus.
-One piece has some problems fishing when using an emulated Wiimote, but should be fine when using a real one. To deal with the lighting issues, use directx 11 (default anyways)

So yeah, get a real Wiimote Plus and a wireless sensor bar
Tyvm KHg8m3r. Now when you mean it will fix the lagg issue in hyrule field, will hyrule field be 100% speed if I enable ZTP hack? Also, if anyone has more suggestions to give me, please do!
(12-16-2013, 07:11 AM)Solar Wrote: [ -> ]Tyvm KHg8m3r. Now when you mean it will fix the lagg issue in hyrule field, will hyrule field be 100% speed if I enable ZTP hack? Also, if anyone has more suggestions to give me, please do!
I haven´t played any Zelda GC game yet, so I may be wrong.

But what KHg8m3r tried to say is that the hack can help to speed up playability in H.F., not that it will hit 100% speed.

Other thing that can help is Vertex Streaming Hack under OGL backend.
@DJBarry: everyone should just put the OpenGL w/ the Vertex stream hack for Nvidia into their signature (haddockd said that on another thread Tongue)

@Solar: you should be able to get 100% most of the time with your CPU. You most likely won't need the hack, as it's being debated as to wether it really works of not: https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/is...il?id=6875

I should have clarified that there hasn't been any real testing of the One Piece games for a while. So while it is recommended that you use D3D for them, the OpenGL issues could have been fixed by now.

SlimboJimbo

Hey everybody. I'll be buying a laptop for college soon and I was doing some lookin' and stumbled across this cool guy right here. It's a relatively cheap laptop and I wanted to know if this was decent enough to run Dolphin games (I was looking at Metroid Prime because that's my favorite but I was also interested in stuff like Ikaruga, Billy Hatcher, and 007: From Russia With Love). Here are the specs:
  • Intel Core i5-4200M 2.5GHz
  • 6GB DDR3
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M

I figured my specs are somewhat similar to the OP's, so I would assume that I would get similar results?
4th gen Intel chips are currently the best to run Dolphin on (as long as it isn't a low power CPU, which yours isn't). The i5-4200M and the i7-4700MQ are very similar in terms of single core performance. Since Dolphin only relies on 2, 3 cores max, thats what you need to look at. The i7 does have a bit higher score though, so will perform a little bit better, but yours is definitely good.
Metroid Prime is very demanding, and usually requires an overclocked desktop.Billy Hatcher should be fine, its not that demanding. Not sure off the top of my head on the other 2.
However, just keep in mind that computer is a multimedia laptop, meaning that the CPU and the GPU share the same heatsink. So if one gets really hot, the other one will get performance throttled.
If you want the best performance, look into a gaming laptop with dedicated heatsinks for CPU and GPU, with the i7