Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GPU will not overclock when running dolphin games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

RockingRevo

So after getting my new AMD HD 7770, I decided to get back into emulating gamecube/wii games since now I had a card that could actually run them. But whenever I went to play various wii and gamecube games (LoZ wind waker, Loz Twilight princess, SSBB), they would still play at the terrible performance that my old card had. I went to overclock and when i looked at my speeds while running dolphin games, turns out that the clocks were both still running at 300 mhz even though i set them to around 1200 mhz. Apparently, my card will only overclock when running games that were their own applications such as battlefield 4, which when over clocking i run the game at a solid 60 fps. So my real question is this: is there any way to put my card into high performance mode so i can overclock my card while playing dolphin games? Because apparently, my gpu thinks that dolphin is just a simple application and doesnt even recognize when a demanding game is being run with dolphin. Any help would be great on how to solve my problem.
There's a tool called RadeonPro that allows you to do that.

RockingRevo

(12-08-2013, 07:47 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]There's a tool called RadeonPro that allows you to do that.
I use MSI Afterburner for my overclocking. I tried using RadeonPro but i still wasnt able to manually put my GPU into high performance mode. My card IS able to overclock, it just doesnt overclock when playing games on dolphin.
Create a new profile pointing to your dolphin.exe. Then select the profile, go onto the Overdrive tab and select "Enable Graphics Overdrive" and "Always use highest performance clocks while gaming".

Then press Apply Changes. You need to scroll down in the Overdrive tab to see it.
_Try to bump up the internal resolution (Prefer : 3xIR or 4xIR) , that should force the GPU out of 2D mode
_Open AMD Catalyst Control Center , see if you could force GPU at maximum performance

RockingRevo

(12-08-2013, 08:25 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]Create a new profile pointing to your dolphin.exe. Then select the profile, go onto the Overdrive tab and select "Enable Graphics Overdrive" and "Always use highest performance clocks while gaming".

Then press Apply Changes. You need to scroll down in the Overdrive tab to see it.
Ah, that seemed to work! To be honest, i've never used RadeonPro, so I didn't really know what to do to unlock the clocking settings. But now I have it all figured out! So thank you very much for your help!