Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My Computer Specs and questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi There <3

I am new to the forums so excuse me if this is in the wrong place but i needed to ask a question:

I am doing a Zeldathon on Monday (Wind Waker / Twilight Princess) and i can't understand why my FPS isn't stable at 30

SPECS:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHZ (8 CPU's)

Memory: 8192 MB DDR 3 G-Skill

GFX: Nvidia GTX 550ti

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Now for the dolphin settings:

Version: 4.0.2

General

Dual Core enabled
Idle skipping enabled
Cheats off
Framelimit Auto

CPU Emulator
JIT Recompiler (Recommended)

Audio

DSP LLE Recompiler
DSPLLE On Seperate Thread

Audio Backend: XAudio2
Latency: 2

Graphics

Backend: Direct3D9

FS Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Aspect Ratio: Auto

V-Sync: Off

Enhancements

1 x Native (640 x 528)

AA: None

Anisotropic Filtering: 1x

Scaled EFB Copy: On

Per-Pixel Lighting: Off

All other settings disabled on this page

Hacks

Skip EFB Access from CPU - Disabled
Ignore Format changes - Enabled

EFB Copies - Texture

Texture Cache Accuracy: Fast

External Frame Buffer - Disabled

Other: All off except for Fast Depth Calculation

Advanced

All disabled

Once again sorry if my computer just isn't powerful enough and I'm being silly etc. and also if this is in the wrong thread then i also apologise (although i think it's in the right place?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :3
You should be getting fullspeed even at stock. I have the GPU but an i5-2500K, but both games run pretty much perfectly. Zelda TP + LLE audio + Hyrule Field later on in the game can be quite demanding; either use HLE audio or OC your CPU if possible. If you do use LLE audio, do not put it in a separate thread; it will freeze Dolphin sometimes if you do. Additionally, OpenGL is much faster than D3D9 now; use it an enable the Vertex Streaming Hack (Graphics -> Hacks).

Fwiw, your specs are plenty powerful for these two games. But how is a real Zelda marathon without Four Swords Adventures? :p
(12-07-2013, 05:14 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]You should be getting fullspeed even at stock. I have the GPU but an i5-2500K, but both games run pretty much perfectly. Zelda TP + LLE audio + Hyrule Field later on in the game can be quite demanding; either use HLE audio or OC your CPU if possible. If you do use LLE audio, do not put it in a separate thread; it will freeze Dolphin sometimes if you do. Additionally, OpenGL is much faster than D3D9 now; use it an enable the Vertex Streaming Hack (Graphics -> Hacks).

Fwiw, your specs are plenty powerful for these two games. But how is a real Zelda marathon without Four Swords Adventures? :p
Thanks so much! Enabling that one thing makes it run perfectly! <3 I love you! :3
(12-07-2013, 05:58 AM)finalfantasy6464 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2013, 05:14 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]You should be getting fullspeed even at stock. I have the GPU but an i5-2500K, but both games run pretty much perfectly. Zelda TP + LLE audio + Hyrule Field later on in the game can be quite demanding; either use HLE audio or OC your CPU if possible. If you do use LLE audio, do not put it in a separate thread; it will freeze Dolphin sometimes if you do. Additionally, OpenGL is much faster than D3D9 now; use it an enable the Vertex Streaming Hack (Graphics -> Hacks).

Thanks so much! Enabling that one thing makes it run perfectly! <3 I love you! :3
Okie, i probably should have made sure about Twilight Princess as well Wink

WW works 100% just fine but TP (being the more demanding game) still sticks at about 65% speed Tongue I'm sure there is some specific setting i'm missing but i can't see anything on the google when i checked it Big Grin Now this might be the wrong place but hey, as always any help is deeply appreciated :3
You never said if you switched from LLE audio to HLE audio (try it). If you're CPU bound rather than GPU bound (our GPUs can easily handle this game at 3x IR), most slowdowns will go away with the right amount of overclocking.

Btw, where are you getting the slowdowns? I'm actually still in the process of compiling data about how this game runs at various clocks (2.5GHz to 3.3GHz) on an i5-2500K on 4.0, so maybe the data will be useful to you.
(12-08-2013, 10:09 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]You never said if you switched from LLE audio to HLE audio (try it). If you're CPU bound rather than GPU bound (our GPUs can easily handle this game at 3x IR), most slowdowns will go away with the right amount of overclocking.

Btw, where are you getting the slowdowns? I'm actually still in the process of compiling data about how this game runs at various clocks (2.5GHz to 3.3GHz) on an i5-2500K on 4.0, so maybe the data will be useful to you.
Ah, Sorry! >.< Yes i did switch from LLE to HLE Audio. In terms of WHERE i'm getting the slowdown, it's from the minute to press Start on the main screen and it sticks at about 65% speed all the time. In Ordon Village when i could move around i was getting about 18 or 19FPS and the cut-scenes were slightly better running at 21FPS. Sorry for being such a noob but i don't quite understand what you mean by CPU Bound Versus GPU bound. I thought my CPU would be powerful enough but perhaps this is not the case?

I could look at that data but i'm not sure it'll be entirely useful as i'm using an i7 Tongue The joys of using an emulator and not knowing what's wrong, eh? Tongue
You've got a lot to learn about emulators Big Grin Fortunately you're asking the right person.

CPU bound means the CPU is the limiting factor of your performance, aka a bottleneck. GPU bound means the same: the GPU is the bottleneck for the system. In Dolphin, the GPU is responsible for IR and AA (Internal Resolution and Anti-Aliasing respectively). If you have a CPU bottleneck, that means your GPU is sufficient to handle whatever IR and AA you have set, but the CPU is slowing down the rest of Dolphin's emulation. When you only have a CPU bottleneck, turning down the IR and AA will have no effect of speed, since neither are the cause of the slowdowns. A GPU bottleneck means that your IR and AA are too high for your GPU to handle without slowing down Dolphin's emulation. Unlike modern PC games (which chiefly rely on the GPU generally for the bulk of their performance) Dolphin is generally very reliant on the CPU for the bulk of its performance.

Dolphin is largely a dual-core application, that is to say it dedicates two main threads to do the majority of its processing. You can use a third thread with LLE audio and DSPLLE on a separate thread (but again, it may freeze Wind Waker and Twilight Princess), so at most it will use three cores. The difference between an i5 and an i7 (same microarchitecture e.g Sandy Bridge and at the same clock) is going to be extremely negligible, if noticeable at all. Dolphin also doesn't account for hyper-threading. So in short, our systems are nearly identical in terms of playing Dolphin. We should be getting similar results at any rate; any data I compile will be directly applicable to your situation.

Anyway, have you tried OpenGL + Vertex Streaming hack yet? Even on stock, you shouldn't be getting issues with speed though, at least not in Ordon village. Additionally, are you using the Wii or GC version?
(12-09-2013, 02:46 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]You've got a lot to learn about emulators Big Grin Fortunately you're asking the right person.

CPU bound means the CPU is the limiting factor of your performance, aka a bottleneck. GPU bound means the same: the GPU is the bottleneck for the system. In Dolphin, the GPU is responsible for IR and AA (Internal Resolution and Anti-Aliasing respectively). If you have a CPU bottleneck, that means your GPU is sufficient to handle whatever IR and AA you have set, but the CPU is slowing down the rest of Dolphin's emulation. When you only have a CPU bottleneck, turning down the IR and AA will have no effect of speed, since neither are the cause of the slowdowns. A GPU bottleneck means that your IR and AA are too high for your GPU to handle without slowing down Dolphin's emulation. Unlike modern PC games (which chiefly rely on the GPU generally for the bulk of their performance) Dolphin is generally very reliant on the CPU for the bulk of its performance.

Dolphin is largely a dual-core application, that is to say it dedicates two main threads to do the majority of its processing. You can use a third thread with LLE audio and DSPLLE on a separate thread (but again, it may freeze Wind Waker and Twilight Princess), so at most it will use three cores. The difference between an i5 and an i7 (same microarchitecture e.g Sandy Bridge and at the same clock) is going to be extremely negligible, if noticeable at all. Dolphin also doesn't account for hyper-threading. So in short, our systems are nearly identical in terms of playing Dolphin. We should be getting similar results at any rate; any data I compile will be directly applicable to your situation.

Anyway, have you tried OpenGL + Vertex Streaming hack yet? Even on stock, you shouldn't be getting issues with speed though, at least not in Ordon village. Additionally, are you using the Wii or GC version?
I have tried OpenGL + Vertex Streaming Hack (that's what gave me 100% on windwaker) and now in Ordon village it's fine, Faron woods has started becoming framey though instead. I am using the GC version Smile
Hmm... Faron Woods only gets choppy for me when I turn off the Vertex Streaming Hack. It should be running just fine for you, but if that's not the case, you can just overclock your CPU. if you go the OCing route, make sure you understand what you're doing (read online guides about how to OC a 2600K, there are plenty) and watch your temperatures with something like RealTemp or CoreTemp. Ideally you shouldn't be using a stock cooler for overclocking.