Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Getting a new CPU wondering if it would be enough.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have had it with my Intel Pentium Dual core, it has been the bottle neck of my computer and I have been looking to run dolphin.

My specs as of now
Intel Pentium G6960 @3.52 ghz
8gb of DDR 3 ram at 1333
Nvidia GTX 650

I had already bought my new CPU and it is coming in the mail and I am wondering if it will be good enough to run dolphin stable.
The cpu I got was a intel Xeon 3440
http://ark.intel.com/products/42928/

I plan to overclock it to at least 3.2 ghz
Don't expect wonders.
Would playing games at x2 ir be wonders?
That would be related to your GPU unless your CPU limits at 1xIR already.
I can get gamecube games to run at a sketchy 25-30 fps but I would like full frames that the games can put out.
Nah , the "new" CPU will have the same performance as your Pentium if not worse
Both of them are based on 4 years old Nehalem Architecture . Since Dolphin is a dual core applition , a Quad Core is 10->20% slightly faster than Dual Core due to background processing
Penitum G69xx are monsters at overclocking (4.0GHz is possible if you have aftermarket cooling + higher voltage , stable : 3.8GHz) . Xeon is quite bad
You could have gotten the 3570k for 2 bills? That is not much more then what those zeons go for. Did you get it at a steel of a price or something?
Return the xeon and get a haswell motherboard and cpu.

admin89 Wrote:Xeon is quite bad

Xeon refers to the server version of any cpu. Some of them are bad and some are good. A haswell xeon will be just as fast as a comparable i5/i7 model.
"Xeon is quite bad at overclocking" was what i meant .
Alright, thanks for all of your input on this. I got the Xeon at a steal of a price for 70$ since I'm rather on the poor side this year and I wanted something that would do multitasking a lot better than my dual core. Also I don't think this Xeon is bad at overclocking, looking around I found reports of it going to 4.0ghz stable.
Pages: 1 2