Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Specific Hardware question GPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I currently run all my Wii Mario games on Dolphin with Max settings. Every game runs flawlessly.
My computer is a 2011 Imac 27". i7-2600. Radeon HD 6970M 2gb 680mhz.

Im wanting to do a slight upgrade and get a Haswell CPU so Im building myself a desktop just for dolphin pretty much. My question is about the GPU.

Im looking at 3.
GTX770 2gb 1.05ghz for $330
GTX700 4gb 1.1ghz for $400
GTX780 3gb 860mhz for $500

Im not knowledgeble in Mobile GPU to Desktop GPU performance comparisons.
Can I continue to run EVERYTHING on MAX settings with the cheapest of those 3?
Or will I need a better one?
On a budget of coarse

Note: Sonic Colors did NOT run fast on the Imac at highest resolution. I needed to bump it down a few notches. I want my new GPU to run EVERYTHING on MAX settings.
GTX 780 is the safest option since its performance is quite close to the GTX Titan
Any of those GPUs will be better than your iMac's GPU, honestly (especially considering the 6970M's meant for laptops). The 780 is probably overkill, the 760 and 770 are more than capable of maxing out games in Dolphin.

Also, in case you're not already well-aware of how Dolphin likes its CPUs, make sure you get a 4670K or 4770K (or better) and overclock it and everythin'. Y'don't wanna pair a great GPU with a not-so-great CPU.
@pauldacheez
GTX 780 won't be overkill . I would say it barely max out Dolphin
The GTX 680 was tested many times ago . It won't be able to handle anything higher than 4xIR + 4xSSAA . GTX 680 and GTX 770 are quite similar , GTX 770 is slightly faster
If Dolphin, of all things, is that hard to max out the SSAA on, you might as well go straight for the goddamn 780 Ti...
pauldacheez Wrote:If Dolphin, of all things, is that hard to max out the SSAA on, you might as well go straight for the goddamn 780 Ti...

*Looks at wallet
*Looks at bank account

One small issue......