Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Finding a new desktop (Advice)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So im going to save some money for a new desktop since im just about getting tired of this slow ass cpu slowing down my gpu's full potential...... like when i play warframe i should be getting more fps but no Confused
I plan on spending atleast 800 usd not too much (ie; 1000) not planning on doing overtime either so i want to move my graphics card (GTX 650 Ti) to the new desktop and i would atleast need 500w so if possible fit my Thermaltake TR2 TR-500 500W to the other. tried looking for i7 but i seen only $1000+ so im really just looking for something really good that can support my gpu and not drag it down like this one but not cost as much as i would when buying a car (which is also something im saving for) so im lost and not really sure what to look for help me out guys Big Grin
(11-29-2013, 04:09 PM)yodenny Wrote: [ -> ]So im going to save some money for a new desktop since im just about getting tired of this slow ass cpu slowing down my gpu's full potential...... like when i play warframe i should be getting more fps but no Confused
I plan on spending atleast 800 usd not too much (ie; 1000) not planning on doing overtime either so i want to move my graphics card (GTX 650 Ti) to the new desktop and i would atleast need 500w so if possible fit my Thermaltake TR2 TR-500 500W to the other. tried looking for i7 but i seen only $1000+ so im really just looking for something really good that can support my gpu and not drag it down like this one but not cost as much as i would when buying a car (which is also something im saving for) so im lost and not really sure what to look for help me out guys Big Grin
First off do you have a specific need for i7 procs (i.e. hyperthreading)? Such as video streaming, encoding, etc? Otherwise get an i5 max, because games don't benefit from hyperthreading. Also a useful tool to use is www.choosemypc.net. It'll help give you a baseline idea of what to pick up at any budget.
yea its black friday so i should find something at a good price today and your right it doesn't have to be an i7 anything is better than this slow turtle im just trying to get the most optimal pc that wont empty my entire wallet thanks for the reply Angel

EDIT; well this is what ill be getting http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc...Id=9177174
this will be way better than what i have now and i will throw in gtx 650 ti in there but that site is not bad either ill be sure to use it when possible
Just build your own PC . With 500->600$ budget , you can get top the line PC with i5 4670k (no graphic card)
Mid range FX 6300 won't get you anywhere . Demanding games are out of the question (Game won't run full speed -> Audio will stutter -> Annoying)
Did you already buy it yodenny?

I'm not sure why you asked our advice about components if you were planning to just buy the first good looking (as in performance, not aesthetics) prebuilt system on black friday.
yea i got it . hey admin89 by demanding games you mean last story which im still unable to run or pc games like crisis 3 which when i first got it was lag mayhem . NaturalViolence yea man i got impatient i couldnt help it its like when i want something i cant stop thinking about it and i just want it now lol but i could just sell this old one get some money back and sell the one im getting as well (not before i try it out) so is the FX 6300 really that bad i mean there's no doubt it will be faster than this old tower

EDIT; wow....now that i look at it i realize how helpful that website is i just have to subtract the graphics card cost since i already have a decent one
Pretty much all demanding game are unplayable with that CPU unless you can tolerate stuttering/laggy audio .

AMD FX 6300 (stock) is slower than FX 8350 (stock) , FX 8350 @ 4.52GHz (overclocked) is slower i5 3570k @ 3.4GHz (stock) , i5 3570k @ 5.0GHz ( madly overclocked) is on par with i5 4670k @ 4.1GHz (slightly overclocked) . Do you math ! If you love to waste money , go ahead then

Quote:pc games like crisis 3
This is an emulation forum , I don't know why you brought that up

Quote:bad i mean there's no doubt it will be faster than this old tower
Well , most modern CPUs are whole lot faster than yours

In case you change your mind , i may throw the build here
i5 4670k (225$)
Rosewill Blackhawk Gaming Case (65$)
MSI Z87 G41 (90$)
EVGA 500W 80 Plus Active PFC PSU (45$)
Cooler Master Hyper T4 (32$)
Intel SSD 335 80GB (98$)
Total : 555$ . You can reuse : Ram , HDD , GPU - GTX 650Ti
Edit : Forgot to add thermal compound : Noctua NT-H1 10$
fuck it i cancelled the order id rather not waste my time and money on something when i could get something else better plus i really want to build my pc
An FX 6300 should be around 66% (two thirds) faster than your current cpu. A 4670K will be around 80% faster than that, 3 times as fast as your current cpu. So while the FX 6300 is a big bump up from what you have now an i5 is much faster for barely more money.

I don't know why you bought an FX cpu after admin specifically recommended against it. And there are countless threads here warning against it.

Regardless I believe you made the right choice in the end by deciding to build your own.
For gaming there's a Toms Hardware report that says the 4th generation stuff is generally only 10% better than 2nd generation Intel after overclocking is taken into consideration due to the fact the 3rd/4th generations focus more on energy efficiency. If you don't care about electricity bills, just get a new motherboard (that's "future proof") and a used/old/ or even new top of the line i7 from the 2nd generation that can overclock and use all of your existing old computer parts. Power supply shouldn't cost you more than $50 if you need one (really only need minimum 400W for 1 graphics card, 600W for 2), you can get a great cooler for $40 to let you overclock your processor to 4.7+Ghz, and the processor/Mobo combination shouldn't be more than $450 (pretax) at most if you buy new because that's how much I spent on it when it came out, cheaper if you buy used.
Pages: 1 2