Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Please help me choose between 2 builds!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

CodePsion

I am wondering which of the two following builds would be a better choice for Dolphin. They are both budget builds running the iGPU only, no dedicated graphics, so I know performance may not be incredible. I am just hoping for playability. I have actually already ordered the AMD build and did not come up with the Intel build until messing around in pcpartpicker afterwards, so as long as the AMD will run most games playably I am okay with it not being super high quality. My display is a 50 inch tv with resolution 1280x720 (720p), and I will be running Windows 7 x64. Also I was palnning on overclocking the AMD apu and need to know if it would be possible/safe to oc with the stock fan?

AMD:

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core

Mobo: MSI FM2-A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133

Intel:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V Micro ATX LGA1150

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866

Thanks for your input!
Ditch both of them and get A10 6800k (why did you choose A10 5800k ?)
FM2 A55 chipset doesn't support overclocking . Then again , A10 xxxxk is an unlocked CPU , it's will be wasteful don't you think ?
A75 and A85x do support overclocking
The AMD build has a faster GPU and will scale better to high resolutions. It also has some room for overclocking. The Intel build however will be much faster at stock as long as you don't use crazy high graphics settings.

CodePsion

(11-27-2013, 08:39 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Ditch both of them and get A10 6800k (why did you choose A10 5800k ?)
FM2 A55 chipset doesn't support overclocking . Then again , A10 xxxxk is an unlocked CPU , it's will be wasteful don't you think ?
A75 and A85x do support overclocking
That motherboard says on its website that it supports overclocking and includes OC genie II. Will it just not work for this processor or something? Sorry for asking obvious questions, this is my first build. And I chose the 5800k for price reasons.
I guess MSI mobo is an exception . However , Don't cheap out on motherboard , pay a little more and get something decent . A55 is low-end , it usually pair with non-overclockable system
You can overclock CPU with stock fan but it won't get good result . Common , CM 212 Evo is dust cheap !
If you only built PC for Dolphin (and PC gaming) , didn't care about video encoding . I would suggest sth different :
Pentium Haswell G3220 is basically the same CPU as 4th gen i3 but it has lower clock speed , it doesn't have Hyperthreading . Dolphin doesn't care about Hyperthreading so that doesn't matter
Take a look at Dolphin Benchmark : https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark
3rd gen Pentium Ivy Bridge G2030 blow A10 5800K @ 3.8GHz out of the water
4th gen Pentium Haswell G3220 is about 20% faster than G2030 (Haswell is 20% faster than Ivy Bridge in Dolphin Benchmark)
Even if you overclock A10 5800k to the max , it can't beat Pentium G2030 in Dolphin . If I was you , I would prefer a stable system in this case

Build :
Pentium G3220 (69$ on newegg)
Asrock H81M with Solid Caps (59$ on newegg)
EVGA GT 630 (63$ on newegg)

This build should be ok for 2.5x Internal Resolution (1600x1320) , no AA , 16x AF . GT 630 power comsumption is so low that you don't have to get a very good Power Supply
I'm pretty sure any FM2 motherboard will do decent overclocking when paired with a K edition APU.

admin89 Wrote:Asrock H81M with Solid Caps (59$ on newegg)

I don't know why a motherboard manufacturer would advertise "all solid capacitors" as a feature. I've never seen or heard of a motherboard that doesn't use them.
(11-27-2013, 03:33 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]I guess MSI mobo is an exception . However , Don't cheap out on motherboard , pay a little more and get something decent . A55 is low-end , it usually pair with non-overclockable system
You can overclock CPU with stock fan but it won't get good result . Common , CM 212 Evo is dust cheap !
If you only built PC for Dolphin (and PC gaming) , didn't care about video encoding . I would suggest sth different :
Pentium Haswell G3220 is basically the same CPU as 4th gen i3 but it has lower clock speed , it doesn't have Hyperthreading . Dolphin doesn't care about Hyperthreading so that doesn't matter
Take a look at Dolphin Benchmark : https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark
3rd gen Pentium Ivy Bridge G2030 blow A10 5800K @ 3.8GHz out of the water
4th gen Pentium Haswell G3220 is about 20% faster than G2030 (Haswell is 20% faster than Ivy Bridge in Dolphin Benchmark)
Even if you overclock A10 5800k to the max , it can't beat Pentium G2030 in Dolphin . If I was you , I would prefer a stable system in this case

Build :
Pentium G3220 (69$ on newegg)
Asrock H81M with Solid Caps (59$ on newegg)
EVGA GT 630 (63$ on newegg)

This build should be ok for 2.5x Internal Resolution (1600x1320) , no AA , 16x AF . GT 630 power comsumption is so low that you don't have to get a very good Power Supply
I wouldnt' go intel at this budget. Regardless of the performance improvements of the intel side, the AMD side allows for overclocking, easily outdoing the same level intel procs unless you grab and unlocked i5 or i7.
Quote:Regardless of the performance improvements of the intel side, the AMD side allows for overclocking, easily outdoing the same level intel procs unless you grab and unlocked i5 or i7.
You're underestimated Haswell CPU eh ?
AMD A10 5800k isn't good at overclocking . Afaik , you can OC 20% out of it (maximum OC 3.8->4.6GHz) . At 4.6GHz , it's still slower than Pentium G3220 3.0GHz in Dolphin . So what is the point of sacrificing stability ?

Keep in mind that A10 5800k isn't a true quad core processor . That's why , it's still slower than dual core i3 4330 @ 3.5GHz in multi-threaded benchmark

I3 4330 is 20% faster than Pentium G3220 . If the @OP didn't care about PC gaming performance , he could grab i3 4330 build
@Masahiro
You would have to pull off a 30-40% OC on the AMD cpu to get the same performance as the Intel cpu running at stock in dolphin. Which is not possible without LN2. An i5 or i7 would beat it by even more.