Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Virtual Console N64 games with stable framerate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Nocta

Hi, I'd like to know two things about the emulation of the N64 games under Virtual Console.

First, are the framerate and graphics better than on the original hardware/N64 emulator?
Second, are you planning to implement the overclock hack that is already existing (and open source) here: #mce_temp_url# ?

I tried Mario Kart and Mario 64 with a stable (but sadly not 60fps) framerate and it's really an amazing improvement.

Thanks a lot for the great work and I wish you the best for the future.
Nocta
Nocta Wrote:First, are the framerate and graphics better than on the original hardware/N64 emulator?

Actually they can be. It can run some games better than N64 emulators, such as Mario Tennis. Otherwise it will be more or less the same. But running it through dolphin will definitely have higher system requirements compared to running it in an N64 emulator.

Nocta Wrote:Second, are you planning to implement the overclock hack that is already existing (and open source) here: #mce_temp_url# ?

Impossible. Virtual Console games have their own built in emulator, and Dolphin runs that. Dolphin is just a GameCube/Wii emulator, it runs the WAD's which then emulates the N64 running the game. It is not possible to make Dolphin do a hack like that, it doesn't have that kind of access to the N64 game. You'd have to hack the Virtual Console emulator itself. And no one knows how they work.

Nocta

Thank you, that's exactly the kind of answer i was searching for.