Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 4-Player netplay unplayable ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello folks,

for days now my friends and me have been playing mario kart wii and brawl via the netplay option flawlessly, that is when we played as a group of 3.

Yesterday we tried to play with another bloke. After hours of tirelessly trying to fix the bad performance we were experiencing ( not knowing what was causing it ) trial and error gave us the answer.

Every combination of us 4 playing together in a game of 3 works fine. As soon as a 4th player joins the netplay session things go haywire ( aka. from solid 60 fps to 30-40 fps ).

It is not dependent on the fact that one more player joins for example the brawl match, the 4th opponent being a CPU is fine.

It's solely the fact that more than 3 people are present in the netplay session.

TL;DR

players in netplay <= 3 -> 60 fps
players in net play >= 4 -> horrid performance.

anyone experiencing the same? is there a fix ?

( we go with these settings btw. http://www.smashboards.com/threads/dolph...ay.335432/ )

we tried switching from d3d11 to opengl and different dolphin revisions (3.5 and 4.0.1) and the problem doesn't seem to have been fixed unless its a setting that you have to change that we didn't change.

( on a not as related note - any way to sucessfully play brawl and/or mario kart wii via the nintendo WFC with other specific dolphin users ? )
I've seen 4 player be problematic depending on the group. It's the hardest thing to do on netplay currently, and it could be for multiple reasons. The 4th player could have a shit computer. The 4th player could live far away. Any player could have bad enough internet that a 4th player causes problems. Your information you gave tells me it's probably not computer issues.

Wifi On Brawl can work with friends, I just couldn't make it work myself. I've seen others do it.

Mario Kart Wii is a no.

If you want further support, I'd need to know your pings, buffer, etc. to actually check out and see what's going on. Hopefully you can solve this; I do know 4 player can work.
We are all living in the same town and one of them is even living in my apartement.

So this is what the pings are when i host:

Player 1: 0ms
Player 2: 0-1ms
Player 3: 30-35ms
Player 4: 30-35ms

When someone else hosts obviously everyone has a ping around 35 except for the host.

We usually set the buffer to 10 but leaving it at the standard 20 doesn't fix the problem.

Our PC's are all decent enough ( i guess ) to play the game solo with 3 CPU's on more complex stages.

2 people are playing with an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T the other 2 are using i5's.

All except for one ( one of the i5 users ) are using AMD's gpus.

Nintendo WFC seems to be a hit and miss, we managed to get 2 of us playing together so far.
Yeah, that seems odd to me. There's a relatively big update coming to netplay soon, hopefully that will quell this issue. And when I mean soon, I expected it done yesterday in its branch. So, hopefully you'll be seeing it committed to master in the coming weeks.