Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Open CL texture decoder not working anymore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

NephilimWraith

hello guys kinda new to dolphin but i was playing zelda twp with the open cl enabled to get 30 fps but now dolphine crashes unless its disabled and now i cant get a playable speed without it i have no idea whats going on i have read a few post about it and i have noticed that its not geerating the kernel.bin file in the open cl folder how would i go about makeing it do that so i can play again at a good frame rate

EDIT: forgot to mention all settings other then the opencl encoder are exactly the same dont know if it makes a difference but any help would be great since the fps is so low now its not enjoyable

PC specs
win 7 x86
intel core 2 quad q6600 @ 2.4ghz
amd radeon hd 7770
2.5 GBs of ddr2 ram
1- Dolphin version?

2- OpenCL is actually broken, it´s no use to have it on.

3- What you really need is a new and stronger CPU.
NephilimWraith, deleting the User/OpenCL/kernel.bin file should fix this for you. The kernel.bin is a compiled OpenCL program cached to disc so that Dolphin does not need to compile it every time you start a game.
OpenCL works fine here in boosting my framerate. Don't know what people are talking about saying OpenCL provides no benefit.
Well for the vast majority of people it appears not to. And logically it shouldn't because of how inefficient it is. Which is why we're skeptical. Delroth thinks that the only reason that it provides a speedup on some systems is because it forces the GPU out of low power mode when it's not configured correctly. But since every time I ask for evidence or data on the subject I'm ignored I can't confirm or deny this.

Could you please post some screenshot comparisons with GPU temperature, load, and framerate?
I'm seeing a substantial speed up with OpenCL in Twilight Princess (HLE audio). I went from 18-20 fps in Hyrule Field to 25-28. I was sub 30 fps in a lot of areas outside Hyrule Field before, but now I'm a solid 30 just about everywhere else. I didn't initially bother with the setting because I read that it didn't do anything useful, but after reading someone saying it sped up Twilight Princess I gave it a shot.

Intel i5 3330 and Nvidia GTX 770
NaturalViolence Wrote:Could you please post some screenshot comparisons with GPU temperature, load, and framerate?
Here you go:

Spoiler:

I'm using The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess GZ2E01 USA. The only difference in settings between the screenshots is opencl turned off or on.

I did some more testing. If I change the setting to 1x IR and no AA, I get the same exact performance with Open CL on or off. But when I push up to 3x IR and 4xSSAA I take a huge performance hit with OpenCL turned off. With Open CL on at 3x IR and 4xSSAA the performance is exactly the same as 1x IR, no AA and Open CL off.

I just tested the same thing with the D3D back end and it's the same exact thing. High IR and AA settings with Open CL off causes large performance issues which are corrected by the same exact settings with Open CL on.

Open GL Testing:
1xIR + No AA + = Fine
1xIR + No AA + Open CL = Fine
1xIR + 4xSSAA = Slow Down
1xIR + 4xSSAA + Open CL = Fine
2xIR + No AA = Slow Down
2xIR + No AA + Open CL = Fine
3xIR + No AA = Slow Down
3xIR + No AA + Open CL = Fine
3xIR + 4xSSAA = Slow Down
3xIR + 4xSSAA + Open CL = Fine

I'm running the latest Nvidia driver 331.82. It could be something odd with my set up, but there are several other users reporting the same thing. For whatever reason Open CL is providing a performance boost when running above 1xIR (or far more likely negating some bug in either Dolphin or Nvidia's drivers). These frame rate problems may be alleviated by having a much better CPU which could explain why most users wouldn't notice. I'm only using a 3 ghz i5 3330.
You are definitely running into low power mode, a gtx 770 to drop performance at 2x is ridiculous (i have a 560 ti and it doesn't drop performance going to 2x, in most games even in 3x). Go to nvidia panel and set at the global settings your gpu to maximum performance, it should have the same result as enabling OPENCL. All in all the option doesn't speed up anything, it only wakes up your gpu from low power mode if you have an extremely fast new gpu (that doesn't happen with older gpu's such as mine).
(11-22-2013, 09:07 PM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]You are definitely running into low power mode, a gtx 770 to drop performance at 2x is ridiculous (i have a 560 ti and it doesn't drop performance going to 2x, in most games even in 3x). Go to nvidia panel and set at the global settings your gpu to maximum performance, it should have the same result as enabling OPENCL. All in all the option doesn't speed up anything, it only wakes up your gpu from low power mode if you have an extremely fast new gpu (that doesn't happen with older gpu's such as mine).

You were correct. Thanks

Why would they intentionally hobble the performance of a high end video card in a desktop environment by defaulting to a performance killing power management mode? It boggles the mind.
Pages: 1 2