Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Need advice on an ambitious project!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Tulcs

Hey guys! I just registered to get support on this, I've been a long time user of dolphin so I know a little, but I'm well out of touch with the newest version & features.

But I have a project I want to get off the ground, and there's a lot of issues I need help with.

The dream is a 16 player co op house tournament of Mario Kart double dash. Adventurous huh? I couldn't find anyone who's done anything like it using dolphin.

Now, I know dolphin has support for system link emulation, and I know mario kart has support for up to 16 players if 4 systems are linked together (4 player split screen on all 4 GCs). So my first question is: does dolphin have a limit on the amount of system links it can emulate? Can it only do two?

Can MK support 8 people on one console? 4 player splitscreen, two drivers per kart. Then it would just require 2 console emulations. That might be better. That would be 8 people per console (or emulated console), can MK handle that many? Can dolphin support 8 players on an emulated console?

Ok, that's the core of it, but I have other questions. I would most likely be using USB controllers (probably a mixture of xbox wired, ps3 and 3rd party controllers), is there a limit to the amount of controllers i can plug into one PC? How about a limit of one type of controller? Im expecting a lot of wired xbox controllers would be used, what's the limit on the max amount a pc can handle of those at once?

Right, and the big question I suppose is can dolphin support two instances of it running on one PC, and emulate the system link between them? I have a pretty good computer, i5 2500k overclocked to 4.8ghz, 7970 card 8gb of 2000mhz ram, and 4 screens at my disposal (I normally run eyefinity). So it's not a question of if my pc can handle it.
Ideally, I want to know if there is any way, or any workaround way, to get two or more instances of dolphin running in system link mode, and run them in windowed mode on different monitors.

So, how does all this sound? I have another computer at my disposal which is more than competently specced too, I could run them in LAN if need be. If I could get this working, I would be running a sick Mario kart DD tourney, so I really hope I could get something like this off the ground.
The GC only supports 4 controllers so it is physically impossible to have more (so you would need 4 instances of dolphin running). As for you computer being able to handle it, it will run but it would be really slow. Otherwise I guess it should work.

Edit: 5,555th post Big Grin
Use BBA Emulation, then you don't need to run it all on one PC. If you're on a local area network, it may actually work properly for you.