Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New PC, specs should be good enough, can someone help- music in games still slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My specs:

Processor: intel core i7-4770K CPU @3.50 GHz

Ram: 16 GB

System type: 64-bit Operating System, Windows 8.1

GPU: EVGA GTX770 4GB

Dolphin version: 4.0.1

I want my Mario Galaxy to run like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N8Vk8ZjDwM#t=72
(just to compare, here are his specs:
Intel Core i7 930@ 3.80GHZ
Nvidia Geforce GTX 580
Corsair 6GB 1600MHZ DDR3-RAM
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Aren't mine better??)

But instead, my music is slow, choppy, has some hiccups here and there. I'm using LLE audio because when I use HLE, the audio cuts out (which is a commonly known problem I'm aware *with Mario Galaxy*).

Also in Donkey Kong Country Returns, similar problems. It's infinitely better than HLE audio, which used to have really strange sounds and audio glitches. And now with my new PC, the actual gameplay doesn't slow down to a snail's pace. But the music does get slow and choppy, especially with a lot of action.
Okami's sound is terrible as well, on both HLE and LLE. The sound is so broken it's hard to ignore.

My operating system is on a 128GB SSD, and all my programs are on a separate internal 2TB hard drive. Does that matter? Does Dolphin need to be on the SSD as well?

Here are my settings:

http://imgur.com/a/iQR1p
Any ideas? Shouldn't my PC be strong enough to run these games like the youtube link posted above?

Thanks in advance guys.

Edit: changed my PC specs on my profile, but it still has my old ones listed under this post. That's weird. Maybe because I made the post first...

Editx2: I actually didn't watch his whole video, I got so excited from the first minute. But after 1:33, his music does indeed cut out. So he is using HLE.

Well... with that being said... What parts would someone need to play Mario Galaxy, or Okami, or DKC Returns, without any loss in audio quality using LLE? I really thought mine would have been adequate, I believe others here thought so as well when I asked before I bought it.
The revision i used in that video is old. Newer versions are slower. I alos used hardware that was top notch in 2010 and now isn't so much anymore...

To get optimal performance, you need to overclock that GPU
He will also need to overclock his CPU
Whoops, that's what i actually meant Tongue
So overclocking is my only option. Hmmmm :/ I'm still within the return limit for my motherboard. I can exchange it for something else. What motherboard would work without overclocking? I'm really inexperienced with overclocking and I feel like I would break something.
well OC'ing is the only reason to get a k CPU anyway
And by overclocking you can improve performance.Smile
I hate repeating myself, but as I've mentioned in numerous forum threads, using OpenGL with "Vertex Streaming Hack" checked is a free speedup on Nvidia GPUs. Try that out before you go replacing your motherboard.

...Though, really, if you bought a -K CPU and didn't stick it in a Z87 (or higher) 'board, that's kinda a waste. Dolphin loves overclocked CPUs! You might find it absolutely necessary to overclock to run games like SMG at a solid 60 fps.
I forgot to mention my mother board. Its a gigabyte z87x-ud4h. Thanks for the opengl tip, I will try that!
Then you have overclocking buuilt right in, no need for a change.
If the Vertex Stream doesn't help as much as you want, then go into BIOS to overclock
Pages: 1 2