Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: As emulation nears perfection, what hardware will 1 need?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As of now even with my specs games run slow at 4x native, No AA with speed hacks enabled. I was playing Zelda TP (GC) and gotten as low as 12fps I was like holy crap. I fear at this nears perfection of accuracy the devs PC's wont be enough to fully test things as the hardware that would be required is simply not available to use.

My specs

I5 3570 4.5ghz
2GB 6950
8GB 1600mhz RAM

Even with these specs I get massive slow downs on games with the newest stable release. As it comes to to 95% accuracy one would in an insane beast of a system in the way things are going now. I will predict one would need at least an 8ghz CPU by that time comes around. If you think about even 4.5GHZ is not enough for Dolphin anymore well not at 4x native anyways. I dont think it ever was. Or is this simply a GPU problem? Is is graphic based on turning up the native res. Is my GPU with 2GB of RAM not enough for 4x native res on a lot of games? I always thought slodwns (drops in FPS were caused by the CPU). Anyways...

As fr the way Dolphin is going for terms of hardware needed is a bit crazy. As PCSX2 seems to be a lot more optimized than Dolphin is but maybe Dolphin works a lot differently than that emulator does and really needs all these resources. It just seems a bit excessive if you ask me. Maybe someone can explain this to me?

So what do you think one will ultimately need for hardware when Dolphin reaches the end?
1- Actually, what it´s killing you is the CPU. Instead of the 4670K (which is recommended) you have the 3rd gen. and a half i5, which is slower even at the same clock. Anyway, those massive slowdowns shouldn´t happen (PLEASE, specify the games you´re having probs with).Confused

2- And by the model number, I suppose you´re an AMD GPU owner (?).Huh

3- 8 GHz? That´s insane! That wouldn´t happen unless 5-10 years get past (and even if that happens, it would be extremely expensive). An actual CPU, in theory, can handle up to 6.0 GHz A.T.M., and this if using (liquid?) nitrogen.

Talking about insane things, the thread´s title is insanely long. Someone shorten it please!
(11-17-2013, 05:13 AM)fade2black001 Wrote: [ -> ]As of now even with my specs games run slow at 4x native, No AA with speed hacks enabled. I was playing Zelda TP (GC) and gotten as low as 12fps I was like holy crap. I fear at this nears perfection of accuracy the devs PC's wont be enough to fully test things as the hardware that would be required is simply not available to use. Zeld

As fr the way Dolphin is going for terms of hardware needed is a bit crazy. As PCSX2 seems to be a lot more optimized than Dolphin is but maybe Dolphin works a lot differently than that emulator does and really needs all these resources. It just seems a bit excessive if you ask me. Maybe someone can explain this to me?

So what do you think one will ultimately need for hardware when Dolphin reaches the end?
It has always been like this. 2010 you needed a first gen i7 overclocked to ~4Ghz to run most games at full speed.
Then there were many optimizations <- fixes Tongue and even DSP LLE got improved a lot.
Now you need a i5 4670k or i7 4700k overclocked to 4Ghz to play things smooth like the devs recommend it (You can still mess around with the settings but let's keep that out of the thread for now....)

It will always get harder to emulate correctly. Sure, you could just optimize the hell out of it. You could, but the devs aren't robots. Actually, you should appreciate what they have done so far in the first place.

Zelda TP is also a pretty demanding game. It's normal. No hardware exists that could emulate this game at full 30fps while in Hyrule Town.

PCSX2 is a totally different story either. I wouldn't compare that and Dolphin.
(11-17-2013, 05:27 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-17-2013, 05:13 AM)fade2black001 Wrote: [ -> ]As of now even with my specs games run slow at 4x native, No AA with speed hacks enabled. I was playing Zelda TP (GC) and gotten as low as 12fps I was like holy crap. I fear at this nears perfection of accuracy the devs PC's wont be enough to fully test things as the hardware that would be required is simply not available to use. Zeld

It has always been like this. 2010 you needed a first gen i7 overclocked to ~4Ghz to run most games at full speed.
Then there were many optimizations and even DSP LLE got improved a lot.
Now you need a i5 4670k or i7 4700k overclocked to 4Ghz to play things smooth like the devs recommend it (You can still mess around with the settings but let's keep that out of the thread for now....)

It will always get harder to emulate correctly. Sure, you could just optimize the hell out of it. You could, but the devs aren't robots. Actually, you should appreciate what they have done so far in the first place.

Zelda TP is also a pretty demanding game. It's normal. No hardware exists that could emulate this game at full 30fps while in Hyrule Town.

PCSX2 is a totally different story either. I wouldn't compare that and Dolphin.
So why is a 4670k recommended? I heard its only like 5% faster than my CPU is. So basically an 4670K at 4GHZ will equal an I5 3570k at 4.5ghz roughly. So there isnt much difference between the 3rd gen and 4th gen I5's in terms of performance. I do appreciate everything they have done but as for this post I am just curious is all.

Fair enough now I know that about the PCSX2 and Dolphin.
A i5 4670k is recommend because it's newer and on a new Sockel. (Upgrade to Broadwell in 2014 etc.)
(11-17-2013, 05:39 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]A i5 4670k is recommend because it's newer and on a new Sockel. (Upgrade to Broadwell in 2014 etc.)
Just because its newer doesn't mean much unless they are gearing towards it for optimization which that is unlikely. So I ask again how exactly is this gonna shoot performance up that much? I just don't see it. Are you saying the 4670k at 4GHZ will run any and all games at perfect speed? The ones that are playable of course. I don't buy it.
Newer CPU = Higher IPC = Better single-core performance = higher speed in Dolphin.

If you don´t want to believe it, that´s up to you. But that´s how it goes and you can´t do anything for it (apart from "forking" the emulator code as much as you like and then use it for yourself only, like you would with any other build).

ADD: For heaven´s sake, shorten the title! It´s giving me an error when replying.
(11-17-2013, 06:05 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Newer CPU = Higher IPC = Better single-core performance = higher speed in Dolphin.

If you don´t want to believe it, that´s up to you. But that´s how it goes and you can´t do anything for it (apart from "forking" the emulator code as much as you like and then use it for yourself only, like you would with any other build).

ADD: For heaven´s sake, shorten the title! It´s giving me an error when replying.
Please post all your settings, i can't believe such a bad performance with your specs. Does it happen momentarily, in a part of the game? Post pics of all of them including the game properties.
(11-17-2013, 06:25 AM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-17-2013, 06:05 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Newer CPU = Higher IPC = Better single-core performance = higher speed in Dolphin.

Please post all your settings, i can't believe such a bad performance with your specs. Does it happen momentarily, in a part of the game? Post pics of all of them including the game properties.
For me, that quote means "Shut up DJBarry"!!Sad
fade2black, Haswell is around 20% faster in Dolphin compared to Ivy Bridge, and around 25+% better than Sandy Bridge. See the Wind Waker CPU Benchmark thread for real world results. Other programs, specifically those used in benchmarks on a lot of websites, don't even come close to doing the same type of workload Dolphin does (like dynamically recompiling code) so they don't show a massive leap in performance. It just happens that the changes Intel made in Haswell really benefited the types of calculations that Dolphin does, but the same can't be said for programs like 7zip or Handbrake.

An i5-4670K is king for price, performance, and power efficiency, in regards to Dolphin at least. It may not be worth the upgrade for you at all, unless you're a very wealthy enthusiast. Even I wouldn't consider upgrading, not for another two generations at least. That doesn't really help you with running games like LoZ:TP at fullspeed though.

About the issue of accuracy versus speed, this reminds me a lot of bsnes a few years ago. There are actually a number of things the developers can do to speed up Dolphin without sacrificing accuracy. Optimizations can be made, it's just that they're not really low-hanging fruit so-to-speak. Personally, I would not worry about it. I'm confident that Dolphin won't ever reach a drastically unplayable state (at least one that isn't optional, a la Software Renderer). If the Zelda ucode ever gets rewritten for HLE audio, that would greatly help with TP, SMG1, and SMG2, which are some pretty demanding games with LLE audio.
Pages: 1 2