Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My PC is good to run PCSX2 and most games perfect but not Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, my configuration is in signature, and I tried many Dolphin versions and it's still not running games at decent speed. I tried Wrath of Cortex and when my PC was new, it worked fine but after some years passed and I tried game again, it runs really slow and unplayable. Why? I tried to shut off all background programs but it's still same. PCSX2 on the other hand with speedhacks works great. I must admit it is weak with official plugin, but I got customized gsdx cutie plugin and it works good for most of games. Why am I having hard time with Dolphin? Could someone help me please?
Please post your settings in screenshots. Also, please update to the 4.0 or 4.0.1 release. This SVN build is old and unsupported.
Your CPU seems to be kind of weak for Dolphin.
(11-12-2013, 05:26 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Your CPU seems to be kind of weak for Dolphin.
Still, some GameCube games used to work good but now they don't. I remember upgrading to Dolphin 4 and sound was terrible no matter how I confirm it. It's is slow and it cuts a lot. Any idea why? All older Dolphin versions before 4 had good audio. Oh, and configuration is deafult one for all other settings. As for CPU, should I overclock it?
If you want to run Dolphin 4 with most games on that CPU, you will need to overclock to get stable sound. If you want to downgrade to a less demanding (and accurate) older version of the emulator, that's fine also. You may avoid an OC by doing that. However, any issues that you might experience such as a bug in a game or an emulator crash won't receive support on these forums.

Stuttering audio is a known issue under 4.0 if you cannot emulate at 100% speed.
That is a great CPU for PXPS2 indeed but not so much dolphin. As rokclimb15 said the older CPUs are a much better fit for 2.x builds. The emulator was not as much demanding back than. Also Open GL preformed better in most games. Some builds didn't have the dual core option set, so make sure to check it.
OldClassicGamer Wrote:I remember upgrading to Dolphin 4 and sound was terrible no matter how I confirm it. It's is slow and it cuts a lot. Any idea why?
Older versions of Dolphin had a completely innacurate DSP HLE emulation and audio sucked in many games. Dolphin 4.0 includes the new-ax-hle, which provides 100% accurate audio for about 99% of the games (only games that rely on Zelda uCode still have audio issues with DSP HLE). Said that, the new audio engine isn't asynchronous (and never will -- this would kill new-ax-hle accuracy), and if your computer can't run the game at 100% speed, the audio will stutter. The only thing you can do about it is using the OpenAL audio backend that have time stretching feature.

BTW, your CPU isn't too powerful (as you already said, PCSX2 only run because of speed hacks), and in Dolphin case, only an overclock or a system upgrade could improve your performance seen that even using older builds (like r6515) didn't improve emulation speed...
(11-12-2013, 06:07 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]
OldClassicGamer Wrote:I remember upgrading to Dolphin 4 and sound was terrible no matter how I confirm it. It's is slow and it cuts a lot. Any idea why?
Older versions of Dolphin had a completely innacurate DSP HLE emulation and audio sucked in many games. Dolphin 4.0 includes the new-ax-hle, which provides 100% accurate audio for about 99% of the games (only games that rely on Zelda uCode still have audio issues with DSP HLE). Said that, the new audio engine isn't asynchronous (and never will -- this would kill new-ax-hle accuracy), and if your computer can't run the game at 100% speed, the audio will stutter. The only thing you can do about it is using the OpenAL audio backend that have time stretching feature.

BTW, your CPU isn't too powerful (as you already said, PCSX2 only run because of speed hacks), and in Dolphin case, only an overclock or a system upgrade could improve your performance seen that even using older builds (like r6515) didn't improve emulation speed...
I remember some Dolphin version used to play Wrath of Cortex at decent speed, but Dolphin 4 or even r6515 don't.
Could anyone help me which version is good for Wrath of Cortex?
I'd do a release version unless you have a specific fix between versions that you want without a full upgrade. Try 3.5, then 3.0, etc.
(11-12-2013, 06:30 AM)rokclimb15 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd do a release version unless you have a specific fix between versions that you want without a full upgrade. Try 3.5, then 3.0, etc.
Alright, thank you all for help. I will try those versions after I clean my PC from files I don't need. BTW, I have a question about future Dolphin versions. Will there be consideration of Speedhacks? It could help the people with weaker PC's a lot.
Pages: 1 2