Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Suggestion] List of GPUs actually supporting V.S.H.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Like the title says, I was thinking:

Why not create a list of GPUs that actually support the Vertex Streaming Hack? That way we shouldn´t be saying everytime someone asks if his GPU can support the hack (being sure with the answer or not).

So, what do you think guys? It could be a good idea.Smile
Here's the list.

Vertex Streaming Hack Supported:
*All nvidia GPUs

Not supported
*Everything else.

The vertex streaming hack exploits a loophole in the nvidia drivers. Do to crash and hang issues when it's used on other cards, it's disabled for anything but nvidia GPUs. AMD had pinned memory that did the same thing without a hack, but it had random polygon issues.
*Except the 6xxx and 7xxx line of NVIDIA GPUs

If it wasn't for those, we would say any NVIDIA GPU in the tooltip.
Well, technically it should be "8xxx and later". I'd hate to try it on a TNT or GeForce 2. Tongue
6xxx and 7xxx actually can run Dolphin 4.0 though. I know, I tried it, and was as shocked as Degasus.
Yea, but we're talking about the GPUs that support the vertex streaming hack, not all nvidia GPUs that dolphin supports.
Here´s a question: will the AMD GPUs will also support Vertex Streaming Hack as long as the hack is in development?
No.
Dang, too bad for me since I am an AMD GPU owner.Sad
AMD GPUs don't need the vertex streaming hack; They already have an OpenGL extension that does the hack in a correct way. This extension is called GL_AMD_pinned_memory.
OpenGL 4.4 introduces an extension called GL_ARB_buffer_storage which does the same thing but in a standard way. This will replace the vertex streaming hack on Nvidia GPUs that support the extension, and it will also be used on any other GPU that expose the extension.
Not sure when buffer_storage will be implemented since I don't own a Nvidia GPU, and AMD has yet to release a driver for OpenGL 4.4
Pages: 1 2