Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Need help! :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

bphl

Hello everybody!
First of all, I have to say that I live in Quebec (Canada) so I am not so good to speak in english, but I wanted to ask my questions here because I think you are the best to answer and to explain.

So, let's try, and sorry for the mistakes!

I am not this good with the computer, but I think mine is kind of «correct» for gaming. I bought it one year ago, saying to the seller that I wanted a laptop for the university, but also to game a little bit. I am running some games on it (Crysis, Amnesia, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Diablo 1... lol) with medium or high graphics, and it works well.

So I wanted to play Gamecube games on it, but after trying differents configuration on Dolphin with ZeldaWW and Starfox Assault, it continues to lag and to change between 50 and 100%.

I have read somewhere on this site and on this forum differents things, like that emulation is much more difficult for the computers than other game, and that Zelda games are not easy to play on emulation. But I want to know if it's possible to do something with what I have, like configuration or I dont know?

My configuration:

HP Pavilion m6 Notebook PC
Processor: AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics 2.30 GHz
RAM: 8,00 Go
Windows 7 64 bits

Graphic card: AMD Radeon HD 7660G + 7670M Dual Graphics
Memory: 512 Mo
Memory Type: DDR3
Processor power: 686 MHz
Memory power: 800 MHz

Thank you for the help! Help me is there anything I can do, and help me to understand how it work if you want!

BPHL Smile
Your CPU is too slow to run many games at full speed, which is why you have lag. PC games rely a lot on a good GPU, which your laptop has. Emulators like Dolphin tend to rely a lot on the CPU, and yours is fairly weak. Dolphin needs good single-threaded performance too; AMD's current CPUs have significant disadvantages in this regard when compared to current Intel CPUs. Additionally, you're using a low-clocked CPU meant for a laptop. All of these factors mean your CPU isn't fast enough for the games you're trying to play in Dolphin.

bphl

Thanks for the fast answer!

So there is nothing I can do to ameliorate the thing? Because with Zelda, I see that I am far to be able (50-60%) but with Starfox for example, I'm between 80 and 100%.... There is no hope?

And I saw somewhere OVERCLOACKING... I understand the idea but is this a good thing, or no?
Wind Waker is not a demanding game. It does not require a lot of CPU or GPU resources. Other games are more demanding and need stronger hardware. It varies from game to game. Starfox Assault is more demanding than Wind Waker, that is why your speed is lower for that game.

Most laptops are not designed for serious overclocking. I would not recommend it, even if you knew what to do (i.e. keeping your laptop cool).
Your CPU doesn't support overclocking