Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Building a $300 rig for half timer gaming session
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

switchreckon

Hello guys, I am newbie here in the forum.
Right now I am running on a rig which is quite good for gaming (i5, 650 Ti Boost) but the time have come for my brother to inherit this computer. The reason is I am now a full-time university student.

Basically the need of a computer is still there; to do some spreadsheet and proposing a presentation. Yes any computer even smartphones now could it the job nicely, but there are the times when I need to relax my brain and game.

Say no to laptop or pro tablet, I want a small ITX or micro ATX build.
Currently looking for $300-350 max for a:
1. Processor
2. Motherboard

3. GPU
4. Casing

My plan is to get an AMD Athlon II X4 750K or 760K, for the Intel side Pentium G3420 or i3 4330 (but the price is quite high here). For the GPU I probably go for AMD HD7750 or 7770 or even skip all together to get A10-6800k or even wait for Kaveri!

So what do guys think? btw I'm in Europe currently.
Afaict, your old computer will be better then anything else you could build with that budget
AMD and Dolphin never were good friends.Tongue

And i3´s performance is WORST than i5´s.

Radeon HD 7750/7770 are good GPUs for most games.

If you were selecting between the two Intels mentioned, you´re buying the same thing (in Dolphin´s language). i3-4330 and Pentium G3420 have almost the same performance (10% difference max.).

switchreckon

So is Pentium G3420 + Hd 7750 the best bang for the buck?

Thanks for your reply!
Nah , 4th gen i3 is indeed faster than Richland at stock speed . However , both 4th gen i3 and Pentium do not support overclocking . Furthermore , Pentium G3420 is an inferior CPU in PC game (due to being dual core)
I would advise you to get an A10 6800k and overclock it (4.6GHz) if you wanted new CPU right now (and you can't get an i5 4670k - best bang for the buck with that budget anyway )
but
Quote:or even wait for Kaveri!
I think you should wait for Kaveri