Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Switching from Nvidia to AMD - Better, worse or equal performance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yes it will. But no hardware actually handles that without any fps drops in certain games (Mario Galaxy, Last Story etc.)
(11-03-2013, 08:31 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]With that second generation i7 (correct me if false), EFB-2-RAM will give you speed problems. Anyway, you shouldn´t be getting massive slowdowns when using it.

And yes, the other parts are enough for the function.
Anybody know if this is true? That the 2nd gen i7s have speed problems with efb to ram.
santiainen Wrote:Anybody know if this is true? That the 2nd gen i7s have speed problems with efb to ram.

santiainen's profile Wrote:Intel i7-2600K @ 4,6Ghz

That's about as good as it gets. So I doubt that's the source of your problem. Which games are you having trouble with? And what graphics backend do you use with them?
(11-03-2013, 09:51 AM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]
santiainen Wrote:Anybody know if this is true? That the 2nd gen i7s have speed problems with efb to ram.

santiainen's profile Wrote:Intel i7-2600K @ 4,6Ghz

That's about as good as it gets. So I doubt that's the source of your problem.
Alright, good. And I know it's pretty much as good as it gets, for dolphin atleast. I mean sure I could OC to 5ghz, but I doubt that'd be much of a boost really.

Edit: About which games I have problems with.. Well one is Mario Kart Wii. It stutters quite a bit every now and then. Using Direct3D11 with all the "performance optimized" settings. skip efb access, efb to texture, etc etc. If I try to use OpenGL with Mario Kart Wii, the FPS is like 30-40 all the time, while on Direct3D11 it's 60fps but has horrible stutters every now and then. Wouldn't mind it if it wasn't for the fact that it disconnects me from Nintendo WFC the moment those stutters happen.

Another game I have problems with is New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Lags on water levels, also with optimized settings (with this game OpenGL works better though). So efb to texture, skip efb and all that... From what I see online, they're not supposed to lag as much as they do for me, and I see some people running NSMBW with efb to ram without lag too, but if I turn that on, the fps drops down to like 20. Really odd...
A faster GPU won't speed up efb copy to ram. The performance hit of the option varies from one game to another. In some games it reduces performance by more than 60%, in others less than 10%.

The only cpus that are significantly faster than sandy/ivy bridge cpus right now are haswell. And not by enough to justify an upgrade imo.

You're right that those numbers seem a bit low. Have you checked your GPU clock rates to see if it's throttling?
Pages: 1 2