Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How about this config
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys
What about this config, considering it's an exclusively emulation machine
Intel i5 3570 3.4Ghz

8GB DDR3
GeForce GTX 660

For 2x native only, don't need more...
And for playing games like:

Gamecube:
Eternal Darkness
Ikaruga
Mario Tennis
Mario Kart
Metroid Prime 1,2
Resident Evil 1
Resident Evil Zero
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II
Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros Melee
Tales of Fantasia
Viewtful Joe

WII
Metroid Prime 3
Zelda Twilight Princess
Mario Galaxy
007 Goldeneye

Another GPU options
GTX 760
HD 7870
HD 7850
Get a HD7950 and a i5 3570k.

You need a good cpu cooler too, because you need to overclock for most of the wii games you listed there.
Yes i have a 3570k and emulation works good, but yes if you are going to overclock definitely consider getting a new CPU cooler (water cooler preferred) and as for the GPU what ever you can afford i would go AMD over Nvidia. i have a 7870 and its insane overclocks well and works great in Crossfire, and just because its so cheap id go with 16gb of RAM it will be handy down the track
SSBM: No problems in here (it´s light-weight).

SMS: Kind of demanding in some parts, still playable (average weight).

Metroids: Demanding in most parts. You may want a better and faster CPU.

Mario Kart: (For heaven´s sake, please specify which one(s)!) MK-Wii will be playable in most parts. MK-DD is light-weight with HLE and average-weight with LLE.
DJBarry004, you really shouldn't give advice on how games will play on the OP's high-end system based on your experiences with a low-end system.

SMS will run on this configuration fullspeed consistently. Metroid Primes 1-3 are demanding on the GPU and CPU, but an overclocked i5-3570K won't have issues with it, and the GPU from the OP's config is more than enough to run them at 3x IR. MK Wii is GPU.intensive, but again, the GTX 660 or the other listed GPUs will handle that game just fine.
The only game i currently play is Metroid Prime, on the previous build i was able to run it smooth with enhancements (AA and AS) at 60fps i haven't had time to play around with settings on the new version but I'm sure you wont have too much trouble. And keep in mind i run my pc at bare stock clocks with no overclocking so with overclocking you could benefit greatly
Get a 4670 instead of a 3570. Much faster for barely any increase in cost.
(11-04-2013, 05:25 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Get a 4670 instead of a 3570. Much faster for barely any increase in cost.
Well actually between generations (Ivy Bridge To Haswell) and the same with all other generations its only a 10% speed increase, but it would be a much better idea to go with the newer model as it will last longer down the track
In dolphin it is more than 10%
The Wind Waker Benchmark shows it's somewhere between 20-30%, which is a lot for Dolphin. Definitely go Haswell if you can.
Pages: 1 2