Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Inspiron 530 Upgrading- Will it give 60 fps?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Simple question: I'm using a Dell Inspiron 530 with 2.5 GB ram and a core 2 duo processor (2.33 Ghz). I'm currently able to run Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn at 50 fps normally and high 30s/low 40s for both when running xsplit. Unfortunately my upgrade options are very limited, especially since apparently you cannot overclock a Dell computer.

How much of a difference would it make if I had a 2.8 Ghz core 2 duo processor and 3GB ram? What about 4GB? That's as high as I can possibly go with this computer and I want to be able to run streaming software like Xsplit or OBS at 60 fps, even if it's at the lowest resolution possible.

Also, is it normal for 30 fps to feel much slower? Maybe it's the stuttering sound but it feels more like 10-15 fps sometimes.

Edit: Note that going from 2GB to 2.5GB RAM gave me an extra 10-15 fps. Is the true bottleneck my CPU or my RAM, or something else? GPU is a Nvidia GTX 650, don't think that's the problem.
My first "gaming rig" was a dell optiplex 760 which had an e7400 core 2 duo @ 2.8ghz. It did pretty good on many games, but I highly recommend you atleast pay 200 bucks for a new mobo and an i3. It's night and day the difference in performance in dolphin.
i3 aren´t as fast as required for most games. You could also consider getting any i5-xxxx CPU (specially 3xxxK/4xxxK). Why with the "K" ending? Because it allows you to overclock if you need more speed.

And yes, you´ll also need a new mobo.

(Off-topic): OMG, I´m now senior member! I thought I was never going to get that rank! Tongue
If you're strapped for cash and can't get an i-series chip and board, look into getting a core 2 quad. Thats what I did in my dell inspiron 9200 untill i had enough to get my new computer.
If your's is the 530/530a/530c, it will work. If its the 530b/530d, it wont
If I have to upgrade motherboards, I might as well get one that can support an i7. When I looked through amazon I saw quite a few motherboards priced around 150$, which isn't half bad. Certainly beats buying a brand new PC.
MSI Z87 G41 or G45 + i5 4670k
i7's feature : Hyperthreading is useless for Dolphin . Therefore , i5 4670k = i7 4770k > i7 3770k
(11-02-2013, 05:17 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]i3 aren´t as fast as required for most games. You could also consider getting any i5-xxxx CPU (specially 3xxxK/4xxxK). Why with the "K" ending? Because it allows you to overclock if you need more speed.

And yes, you´ll also need a new mobo.

(Off-topic): OMG, I´m now senior member! I thought I was never going to get that rank! Tongue
I know, but he says his upgrade options are limited and I'm assuming the amount of money he has to spend on something on this is also limited. So it seems like the best best for him would be an I3 with a new mobo. Even though an i3 can't run demanding games full speed it still does very well on most games with hle audio and some with lle.

@Vykan12
If you aren't limited on money to spend or have around 500+ admin89's recommendation is the best bet.
Forgive me for necroposting but didn't want to make a separate thread.

I got myself a laptop that I'm pretty sure has better specs than my old PC:

HP Pavilion 17.3"
i5-3230m @ 2.60 Ghz processor
64 bit OS
8 GB RAM

For the GPU, the display adapters list:
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Radeon HD 8670M

Now when I try and run FE:Radiant Dawn on dolphin, I get virtually the same fps as before (max 40ish). What is the problem? Is my CPU still not strong enough?
You should check Laptop Performance Guide