Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Low latency or High Bandwidth RAM?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Tirpitz

I´m about to purchase some memory for my dedicated server and weekend emulator machine, and i cannot really tell how much will the igpu (wont be doing some heavy gaming, so Intel HD 4600 will have to do) benefit from having lower latency or more bandwidth in the RAM.
Currently I´m between these three memory sets:

Kingston HyperX Predator 2133 mhz
11-12-11 @ 1.6v

G. Skill Ares F3 2133 mhz
9-11-10-28-2N @ 1.65v

G. Skill Sniper F3 1866 mhz
9-10-9-28-2N @ 1.5v

The problem is I don't know if its worth getting these kind of ram, or whether I should just buy Low Voltage RAM and save some bucks.
I don't really know whats best for igpu, lower latency or higher frequency (if these matter enough to make a difference), so if an expert could please pronounce about this subject I would greatly appreciate it Angel.

Sorry for my bad English.
Wii Emulation is heavy gaming so get a GPU
A hd 4600 is fine for 2x ir or in some cases 2.5x ir. Dolphin needs a lot of memory bandwidth for higher irs so i would go with higher bandwidth.

Tirpitz

(10-31-2013, 12:31 PM)Gir Wrote: [ -> ]Wii Emulation is heavy gaming so get a GPU
Perhaps down the road if I see myself not happy enough about framerate, but for now I have to get some decent RAM first and see how it goes.
BTW, dont really care playing around with 2x res and no AA, as long as it runs smooth.
Anything past 1866MHz won't make any difference. If you have to choose between the two, go for bandwidth. On modern microprocessors greater bandwidth is almost always better than lower latency.

Save yourself some money and get 1866MHz ram.