Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 3.8-4.1ghz 6-core but can't run some games beyond 10fps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm attempting to play Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. I tried a personal rip and another's backup under the assumption mine was bad. The problem I'm having is that while in the first instance(the rats in the cellar) my FPS drops to 8-10fps. I checked to ensure that my CPU speed is maxing out at 3.8ghz with turbo off. I have researched all over the place and can't seem to figure out why such a simple game won't run on my computer while other emulated ones that are more intense run fine. Below are specs and settings.

VPS(roughly 60+)
Gamespeed 100%
Sapphire Radeon HD7700
AMD-FX 6200(6 core, 3.8ghz turbo 4.1ghz clock)
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (11-11-11-28)

See next post for screenshots.
(accidental double post but let's make use of it with some screenshots)

[attachment=9936]
[attachment=9935]
Why LLE on Thread?
I'm not using LLE anyway so that setting shouldn't matter but I get the same results with that on or off. Same results even with audio completely disabled.
Dolphin is a dual core application . So 6 cores or even 8 cores don't matter
Single threaded performance of The Bulldozer is nightmare for Dolphin (It's even worse than previous gen Phenom II )
Base on Dolphin wiki , Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is a demanding game . Latest Dolphin is much more demanding than old version like 3.0 . Therefore , 10 FPS is normal for your CPU
(10-31-2013, 08:25 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin is a dual core application . So 6 cores or even 8 cores don't matter
Single threaded performance The Bulldozer is nightmare for Dolphin (It's even worse than previous gen Phenom II )
Base on Dolphin wiki , Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is a demanding game . Latest Dolphin is much more demanding than old version like 3.0 . Therefore , 10 FPS is normal for your CPU
Would you suggest running an older version for certain games? It seems like you would have to have a 300$ processor just to get anywhere with semi-modern games.

PS: Not sure that I understand this line, "Single threaded performance The Bulldozer is nightmare for Dolphin (It's even worse than previous gen Phenom II )"
FX 6100 , FX 6200 : AMD Bulldozer
FX 6300 , FX 6350 : AMD Piledriver
Piledriver is faster than Bulldozer . I could throw some other benchmark here but i have to go to work now
You can look at Dolphin Benchmark . i5 4670k can play most games full speed and it does cost less than 300$
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark
Keep in mind that the benchmark used Dolphin 3.0 (old version)
With latest version , you can try Vbeam speed hack to increase the FPS (Right-click the game - properties)
(10-31-2013, 08:56 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]FX 6100 , FX 6200 : AMD Bulldozer
FX 6300 , FX 6350 : AMD Piledriver
Piledriver is faster than Bulldozer . I could throw some other benchmark here but i have to go to work now
You can look at Dolphin Benchmark . i5 4670k can play most games full speed and it does cost less than 300$
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark
Keep in mind that the benchmark used Dolphin 3.0 (old version)
With latest version , you can try Vbeam speed hack to increase the FPS (Right-click the game - properties)
Oh, okay. Seems I'm out of luck at the moment then. I am however getting a solid 22 fps(sometimes more) in action using 3.0, but the game speed is sitting around 40% so that basically means nothing except smoother but still slow game play. I was hoping the emulator was able to process using the graphics card but now that I think about it I can see why they need to use the CPU.

Thank you for your information and assistance.
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance has speed issues even with the best hardware currently.