Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 4 vs Dolphin 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
You can't play LoZ: TP in all places at 100% speed with an overclocked Haswell 4670K (a great deal more powerful than the 2700K with OC) in 4.0.2. On the upside, lots and lots of bugs have been fixed that caused graphical glitches. You can come pretty close in most places. In dev versions, LoZ: TP has suffered more than other games due to the removal of the ZTP hack and tev_fixes_new.

If you like 3.5, continue to use 3.5. Nobody is trying to stop you. You won't get support for any issues that come up because many of them have been fixed in latest stable and dev. But the fact that your current hardware, which is ample, won't play at the same speed is neither here nor there. It's well established what kind of hardware is needed to play that game at the fastest speed under stable and dev. So either use 3.5, or upgrade hardware. It's that simple.
(05-18-2014, 05:44 AM)bananaclawz Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like typical: "It isn't our product, it's your machine" excuse.

It's exactly like that. I've been trying to play Metroid Prime 2 and the game works near perfectly with an ancient revision (r7346 LOL), all you have to do is use save states for saving because formatting a memory card makes the game reset on the menu for some reason, and in the game options set the audio to mono because stereo makes some sound effects not play correctly. If you do that you have near perfect emulation.

And with the latest "official stable" build? The scan visor runs slower than the combat visor (it runs at the same full speed in r7346), the game has constant micro-stuttering even if you aren't loading a new area or there isn't new stuff being rendered on the screen (this doesn't happen on r7346), the game desynchs the cpu and gpu thread creating a weird black bar a the bottom that squishes the game (yup, you got it, it doesn't happen on r7346).

The sad part is that if you read the dolphin wiki for metroid prime 2, the only solution is to either play without dual core (which makes the game run slowly) or enable Sync GPU Thread (which breaks the game), and that is it, there is apparently no other solution for this black bar thing. YES THERE IS, PLAY ON A REVISION THAT ISN'T CRAP. But dolphin devs are so stuck on pride that they will tell you that "the game runs fine, it's just your machine" despite 3 year old builds playing the game perfectly fine. If you check commits they've apparently been removing fixes because of "code readability", as a result, Dolphin is literally going backwards instead of forward.

Sade state of affairs, this is.
Really, you have no idea of what you´re saying...
(05-18-2014, 10:24 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Really, you have no idea of what you´re saying...

You mean me?

Maybe so.

But I'm not so delusional by technical tidbits and my own arrogance that I become blind to obvious facts.

Older dolphin revisions work better for most games than newer ones, and that is shameful. Then again, open source developing tends to do that.
They don´t work better because they have more bugs. And if by better you mean faster, that´s because of lack of accuracy. Thing that actual builds do have, and every time getting even faster than that -crap-.
If you can name one fix removed, I'd be pretty shocked.
You're right. I sure love emulating games at 2/4 the intended speed because they're more "accurate".

There is a reason most devs don't aim for accuracy, it's generally a waste of time, and the original developers coded their games for ancient and obsolete hardware by today standards, why would you want to force yourself through the same restrictions they had? If you care about nothing but creating a piece of software that emulates the original hardware as accurately as possible, you know, for shits and giggles, or to prove that you can, then sure, you can claim it's better.

If you're trying to code an emulator that actually lets you play the damn games, then you're doing it wrong.
Quote:I've been trying to play Metroid Prime 2 and the game works near perfectly with an ancient revision (r7346 LOL), all you have to do is use save states for saving because formatting a memory card makes the game reset on the menu for some reason, and in the game options set the audio to mono because stereo makes some sound effects not play correctly. If you do that you have near perfect emulation.

Lol.

If you want to keep using buggy versions, have fun. Stop posting here though, we don't want your useless, non constructive noise.
@Heavy01

I would like to write some kind of retort founded in fact, but I'm completely unable to because you haven't filled our your profile, which is a forum requirement.

I'm very eager to see what your CPU specifications are because I suspect there's going to be something obvious there.

I will also grant you that a certain handful of games have suffered in terms of performance as the development of Dolphin has progressed. If anyone cares enough to fix them (and knows how), they should.
@bananaclawz - 4.0.2 is slower than 3.5 because the developers focused a lot more on accuracy than they did on making specific optimizations. The latest development revisions are often faster than 4.0.2 and 3.5. I'm going to say you should really try the latest development versions (e.g. versions newer than 4.0.2) and compare those speeds before judging what changes have been made to Dolphin. I have no idea why you're getting such horrible speeds; you said it cuts 10 FPS in all games, so that means 20 or 15 FPS in TP depending on if you're using NTSC or PAL versions. On 4.0, I had no such speed issues until I get to a fully unlocked Hyrule Field (it's usually 23~26). I'm on a 2500K only OC'ed to 3.8GHz. I'm inclined to say your settings aren't up to snuff (defaults probably aren't enough).

@rokclimb15 - Actually, the changes that made LoZ:TP's Hyrule Field impossible to run fullspeed on modern consumer hardware (any hardware?) came after 4.0.2. 4.0.2. should be able to get fullspeed in Hyrule Field with OC'ed hardware, but after a certain point in the development revisions that changed (TFN merge + ZTP hack removal? Can't remember when).

Heavy01 Wrote:But dolphin devs are so stuck on pride that they will tell you that "the game runs fine, it's just your machine" despite 3 year old builds playing the game perfectly fine.

Yeah, sure, from a user's perspective it appears "perfect" (ignoring the horrible support for save states :/ ) but there are a host of things that Dolphin does under the hood in r7346 that are completely wrong as it concerns properly emulating the GC hardware. If you feel that the developers shouldn't have focused on increasing Dolphin's overall compatibility (not necessarily MP2, but other games) and stability over the past few years at the expense of performance, that's cool, but that's not how the developers see how to improve Dolphin. They would rather figure out how to properly emulate the GC (not without some trial and error) instead of relying on hacks and buggy, incomplete implementations of features.

Heavy01 Wrote:If you check commits they've apparently been removing fixes because of "code readability", as a result, Dolphin is literally going backwards instead of forward.

If you've never had to maintain a project with a codebase as large as Dolphin's, then you really don't have the proper understanding behind those commits. Dolphin doesn't force you to go backwards if you don't want to. If you want to use an old revision that's "perfect" for you, stick with it.

Heavy01 Wrote:Then again, open source developing tends to do that.

There's nothing inherent about OSS that makes older versions "worse". Commercial and closed source programs can easily do that themselves.
Pages: 1 2 3 4