Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Hardware performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

JohnFalcon

I wanted to know if I can fully run games like Monster Hunter Tri and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess with my current hardware. And if I can, at what settings as far as hardware (e.g. overclocking) and on Dolphin? My reason for asking is because many people on this site have strongly recommended even Intel i5s over AMD, so I want to know where I stand as far as performance.

Specs:
AMD FX-8350 4.0ghx (can overclock if needed)
Visiontek 2gb DDR2-1600mhz (work in progress, upgrading to 8gb soon)
Nvidia Geforce GTX 760
Why not just test it yourself ?

JohnFalcon

(10-24-2013, 07:19 AM)Gir Wrote: [ -> ]Why not just test it yourself ?
Because I don't have the processor just yet. I have ordered it, and it should be here tomorrow.
You will not achieve 100% speed in all parts of LoZ: TP with any known processor. With yours, I suspect that performance will be generally poor (20 fps-ish) without a steep overclock. Try it out and let me know.

Not sure about MH Tri. You might do ok there without an OC.

i5 3rd and 4th gen present distinct advantages over all current AMD processors in terms of work done per clock cycle in Dolphin. Could have to do with the way they re-order instructions for execution. No way of working around that. Your GPU is great though.
(10-24-2013, 07:22 AM)JohnFalcon Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-24-2013, 07:19 AM)Gir Wrote: [ -> ]Why not just test it yourself ?
Because I don't have the processor just yet. I have ordered it, and it should be here tomorrow.
I finished Twilight Princess with Phenon X4 955 at 3.2 GHz which is similar architecture as yours
thus playable.
Quote:I finished Twilight Princess
With recent version ? Dolphin 4.0 , 4.0.1
You do know latest Dolphin is much more demanding than older version , right ?
WARNING: The following post can have some off-topic content that may be not be of interest for anyone here.

@admin89: Is the Dolphin CPU benchmark updated according to Dolphin 4.0/4.0.1 processing needs?

If the answer is "yes", then the O.P. can take a look at it so he can have a better-based idea in how strong his/her CPU is.
Quote:My reason for asking is because many people on this site have strongly recommended even Intel i5s over AMD
The latest i5 4670k is 1.5->1.7 times as fast as your CPU in Dolphin . Huge different !
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark
Zelda TP is a demanding game . You won't get full speed on Hyrule Field even if you push it to 4.52GHz . And a OCed FX-8350 is still be outperformed by stock speed i5 4670k

JohnFalcon

(10-24-2013, 08:10 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]WARNING: The following post can have some off-topic content that may be not be of interest for anyone here.

@admin89: Is the Dolphin CPU benchmark updated according to Dolphin 4.0/4.0.1 processing needs?

If the answer is "yes", then the O.P. can take a look at it so he can have a better-based idea in how strong his/her CPU.
My apologies, I have just made this account and am new to this site. I will check the benchmark right away. Thank you all for your time.
With the exception of hyrule field TP is not that demanding. Your CPU should for the most part do fine. With LLE you might have some slowdowns outside of hyrule field unless you OC a bit.

The benchmark was done with dolphin 3.0 so no it's not updated to 4.0. We can't just magically get all those people to redo their tests with a newer build. Most of them are long gone.