Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Help me build something with 1300$
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, I want to build a powerful gaming rig for myself.

The things are:

I want to run every demanding dolphin game at fullspeed. SMG, Skyward sword. Smash bros with 4 people playing.
I can't be bothered to buy another wii, the graphics on that thing sucks donkey kong balls.

I have 1300-1400$ to spend on CPU, GPU, Motherboard.

What is the recommended CPU in my case? I want the most bang for the buck, a friend of mine told me i7-4770k but I figured you guys would know better.

Please recommend me a good CPU, and a good GPU and motherboard with the money I'll have after that.
Thanks in advance
You won´t run every demanding game Dolphin can execute but the ones you have mentioned (and others like Metroid Prime series).

And even if you by a high-end CPU, you´ll have to overclock it in order to get full speed in almost all the games you want.
For Dolphin, the best two CPUs are the 4670K and the 4770K. Both of these should have near identical performance as Dolphin cannot use the i7 specific features. Pair these with any Z87 motherboard and a decent cooler, and you'll be able to play all that it playable.
I might go with 4770k.

Also thanks for the motherboard and cooler advices. Really helpful. Would I still choose those if I want a GTX 770?

I'd need to overclock it to run games like Metroid Prime and Last story right? Oh and would last story run at a decent speed on it?

I think I got everything pretty much set right now.
Last Story will be playable, but with actual hardware it will NEVER run perfectly.
(10-22-2013, 10:32 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Last Story will be playable, but with actual hardware it will NEVER run perfectly.

He'll be able to run The Last Story at fullspeed once he overclocks. The thing is that if Dolphin emulates the Wii accurately, you will still get slowdowns even when you're emulating the game at 100%. The Last Story slaughters real Wii hardware, causing the FPS on a Wii to drop in some places. Dolphin will emulate those slowdowns, because that's accurate behavior, that's what the Wii does. Dolphin will still report the game running as fullspeed (it's fullspeed as far as a real Wii is concerned). It's possible to emulate The Last Story at fullspeed and accurately, it's just that this said accurate behavior is not exactly what some gamers expect.

The easiest "solution" is to temporarily increase the frame-limit (e.g. Off, or something like 45 FPS) to make Dolphin itself run faster. The music will sound off (plays faster when running Dolphin faster) but it's possible to play The Last Story on Dolphin nearly exactly like it does on the Wii.
(10-22-2013, 07:48 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]For Dolphin, the best two CPUs are the 4670K and the 4770K. Both of these should have near identical performance as Dolphin cannot use the i7 specific features. Pair these with any Z87 motherboard and a decent cooler, and you'll be able to play all that it playable.

(10-22-2013, 10:53 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-22-2013, 10:32 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Last Story will be playable, but with actual hardware it will NEVER run perfectly.

He'll be able to run The Last Story at fullspeed once he overclocks. The thing is that if Dolphin emulates the Wii accurately, you will still get slowdowns even when you're emulating the game at 100%. The Last Story slaughters real Wii hardware, causing the FPS on a Wii to drop in some places. Dolphin will emulate those slowdowns, because that's accurate behavior, that's what the Wii does. Dolphin will still report the game running as fullspeed (it's fullspeed as far as a real Wii is concerned). It's possible to emulate The Last Story at fullspeed and accurately, it's just that this said accurate behavior is not exactly what some gamers expect.

The easiest "solution" is to temporarily increase the frame-limit (e.g. Off, or something like 45 FPS) to make Dolphin itself run faster. The music will sound off (plays faster when running Dolphin faster) but it's possible to play The Last Story on Dolphin nearly exactly like it does on the Wii.

Oooooh. Thats very interesting! Accurate emulation at its finest.

Thanks for clarifying!