Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I need the best build and Dolphin configuration for my laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm completely new to forums. I've been using Dolphin 4.0 for a while now, and I used to have the best configuration for my computer, but I was trying old builds and new builds because I had some issues with games.

Games like Melee, Kirby Air Ride, Paper Mario were running at full speed at one point. Xenoblade, and The Last Story were very slow, so I was looking for something new and lost my configuration.

Now I want to know for sure what the best build is, best configuration for my laptop and if I can play Wii games at all.

Here are my specs: Operating System:Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200)Processor/CPU:Intel® Core™ i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHzVideo Card/GPU:Intel® HD Graphics 4000Memory/RAM:16384MB RAMDolphin Revision Currently Using:Dolphin 4.0-259
Quote:Xenoblade and The Last Story
are demanding games which require top of the line CPU : i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz -> 4.2GHz Quad Core (4 cores 4 threads)
i5 3230M is a dual core CPU with Hyperthreading (2 cores 4 threads)
Intel HD 4000 is an integrated GPU which is crap
(10-21-2013, 03:06 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
are demanding games which require top of the line CPU : i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz -> 4.2GHz Quad Core (4 cores 4 threads)
I was actually just playing Xenoblade Chronicles, and The last Story (Kind of slow) but Xenoblade works alright, a bit slow too but it was smooth after the first part. I figured out the problem that Directx3D9 was removed in the newer builds. But I don't know if I can change my Intel HD 4000 on a laptop can I? If I can what would you recommend?

(10-21-2013, 03:06 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
I ALSO forgot to mention I have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.. I just checked in device manager, I forgot to put that.
You can't. It's an Integrated Graphics Processor(or IGP). It is integrated into your cpu chip(hence the name). They are enough for movies and light gaming but on dolphin they are iffy. The only way to gain performance is to overclock your RAM or extend how much memory it can use. You're on a laptop so overclocking is a no-go and honestly extending your ram for the igp doesn't help performance after 512mb(in my testing). You could use dolphin 3.0 or 3.5 if you want more speed but besides that there isn't anything you can do Sad
Edit:Just saw your edit.
Yeah, your gpu should be good enough for 2xIR in every game and 3xIR in many games. Still, use 3.0 or 3.5 if you want more speed. Also make sure dolphin is using your nvidia gpu, not the intel.
(10-21-2013, 03:38 PM)garrlker Wrote: [ -> ]You can't. It's an Integrated Graphics Processor(or IGP). It is integrated into your cpu chip(hence the name). They are enough for movies and light gaming but on dolphin they are iffy. The only way to gain performance is to overclock your RAM or extend how much memory it can use. You're on a laptop so overclocking is a no-go and honestly extending your ram for the igp doesn't help performance after 512mb(in my testing). You could use dolphin 3.0 or 3.5 if you want more speed but besides that there isn't anything you can do Sad
I forgot to mention I have NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M too.
Try following this guide: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-la...ance-guide

Make sure you're using your Nvidia IGP and use ThrottleStop to make sure you're constantly Turbo Boosting (for 2 cores). That's really the farthest you can push your laptop.
(10-21-2013, 03:46 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Try following this guide: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-la...ance-guide

Make sure you're using your Nvidia IGP and use ThrottleStop to make sure you're constantly Turbo Boosting (for 2 cores). That's really the farthest you can push your laptop.
Whenever I change the graphics card to Nvidia it always gives the error "Failed to emunerate outputs" I also have to change the backend to DirectX11 or else I won't get the option to use 11.
(10-21-2013, 03:50 PM)ZehcnasX0 Wrote: [ -> ]Whenever I change the graphics card to Nvidia it always gives the error "Failed to emunerate outputs" I also have to change the backend to DirectX11 or else I won't get the option to use 11.

You don't need to set it to use your Nvidia IGP through Dolphin. Follow the instructions in the link I posted and set your Nvidia IGP to be used for Dolphin through the Nvidia Control Panel. Also, OpenGL is generally faster than DirectX11 in Dolphin, especially with Nvidia hardware and with the Vertex Streaming Hack enabled (Dolphin -> Graphics -> Hacks tab).

Since you have that "Failed to enumerate outputs" error, you can help the developers with this issue. See this thread if you want to help neobrain get this issue finally fixed: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ne...te-outputs
(10-21-2013, 03:50 PM)ZehcnasX0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-21-2013, 03:46 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Try following this guide: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-la...ance-guide

Whenever I change the graphics card to Nvidia it always gives the error "Failed to emunerate outputs" I also have to change the backend to DirectX11 or else I won't get the option to use 11.
Sorry I mean I won't get the option to use Nvidia

(10-21-2013, 03:55 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-21-2013, 03:50 PM)ZehcnasX0 Wrote: [ -> ]Whenever I change the graphics card to Nvidia it always gives the error "Failed to emunerate outputs" I also have to change the backend to DirectX11 or else I won't get the option to use 11.

You don't need to set it to use your Nvidia IGP through Dolphin. Follow the instructions in the link I posted and set your Nvidia IGP to be used for Dolphin through the Nvidia Control Panel. Also, OpenGL is generally faster than DirectX11 in Dolphin, especially with Nvidia hardware and with the Vertex Streaming Hack enabled (Dolphin -> Graphics -> Hacks tab).

Since you have that "Failed to enumerate outputs" error, you can help the developers with this issue. See this thread if you want to help neobrain get this issue finally fixed: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ne...te-outputs
Thanks for your help, I'll go follow the instructions and check that out. Thank you.