Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: OpenCL texture decoder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but while testing out new super mario bro wii, OpenCL gave me full speed while otherwise the game runs in slow motion with EFB to RAM. Ironically, OpenMP did nothing at all to boost my framerate, but OpenCL enabled the game to run full speed. This is under OpenGL btw, I haven't tested out this game performs under D3D11.
I don't think anyone has ever reported anything like this. Which makes me skeptical. Can anyone else reproduce this?
I think someone mentioned a while ago in the Development forum that it provided a speedup in NSMB Wii, but that was w/o EFB2RAM iirc. I tried this myself on 4.0 (OpenGL obviously) and it made no difference to me. I can't speak for the latest revisions. The Vertex Streaming Hack is always enabled in my settings too.
Makes no difference here either. His cpu is very fast so I don't see why it would benefit his system. Plus with his specs he shouldn't be seeing any slowdowns in that game even with LLE and efb copy to ram.
For me OpenCL helps curb massive framerate drops wit EFB to Ram. Games I've tested were SMG, SMG2, NSMB. Otherwise EFB to Ram nearly halves framerates. In Sonic Colors EFB to Ram exhibits weird behavior such as everything runs full speed other than on the stage select screen where framerate is halved. Only with certain games does OpenCL help improve performance with EFB to Ram. It seems to help games with dynamic textures that are modified by the cpu but I may not be right about that.
NSMB Wii's FPS gets cut in half for me with EFB2RAM and OpenCL. Xtreme2damax, are you using OpenGL or D3D?
Well that was the case for me up until recently but I just tested and got these results. With internal resolution at Auto (Multiples of 640 x 528) + OpenCL disabled I got near full speed, enabling OpenCL didn't do anything. Changing internal resolution to 2x caused NSMB to slowdown to 42 FPS with OpenCL disabled, enabling OpenCL with 2x internal resolution made the game run as fast as with internal resolution set to Auto (Multiples of 640 x 528), not sure if that is indicative of anything. Unrelated to what is being discussed in this thread is the weird issue with framerate being halved on the stage select screen with EFB to Ram in Sonic Colors but running full speed everywhere else.

Edit: Forgot to mention I am using D3D.
I'm assuming using OpenCL helps the GPU notice it needs to run at full speed instead of powersaving mode. The Dolphin OpenCL decoder should be slower than the CPU decoder in every single case.
That explains the correlation with IR.

@Xtreme2damax

Have you checked for GPU throttling with openCL off?
Do anyone of you use SLI? I'm suspecting OpenCL makes use of SLI, that's why there's a definite boost when I have OpenCL enabled.
Pages: 1 2 3