Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i7 2600k DSP LLE\Overclocking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My complete specs should be in my signature. Basically a while back I was bugging the forums about what graphics card I should upgrade to as I had a 9600 GT. Well, I finally got the chance to upgrade to a GTX 660 Ti and... well I was kind of disappointed that it apparently wasn't my problem. XD But great card nonetheless.

Anyway, I can run say Twilight Princess (GC) at full FPS perfectly under DSP HLE, but I can't do so consistently under LLE. Currently I have my i7 2600k OC'd to 3.7 GHz. (And yeah, I know, it's supposed to turbo to 3.8) I no doubt could easily get more, but currently my heatsink is crap so I need to upgrade it. But I wanted to know how high of an OC I should shoot for. I was hoping for like 4.2 GHz but maybe I should try to go higher?

I know higher = better, but I wanted to know what at least I should shoot for and how much difference would a few hundred MHz make?

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Some Sandy Bridge i7's go as far as 5Ghz. However, anything above 1.28V is likely to kill the processor easily, so try keeping the voltage down.

The difference between those Mhz should still be amazing though. If you need a good cpu cooler look at the Noctua NH-D14 or others. I have the NH-D14 and it's amazing (airflow in my case is shitty but it still manages to cool it down quite nicely).
Ah, so I suppose every little bit helps. But that's a relatively expensive heatsink. I mean it may not even be the heatsink that's the problem in my computer. I'm not the one who put this computer together, but the person that did used a piece of plastic between the heatsink and the bottom of the board to prevent it (the metal plate) from shorting out the motherboard, because when it was first put together, it wouldn't start.

I guess new thermal paste couldn't hurt either. Anyway, thanks!
(10-19-2013, 08:46 PM)Spirrwell Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, so I suppose every little bit helps. But that's a relatively expensive heatsink. I mean it may not even be the heatsink that's the problem in my computer. I'm not the one who put this computer together, but the person that did used a piece of plastic between the heatsink and the bottom of the board to prevent it (the metal plate) from shorting out the motherboard, because when it was first put together, it wouldn't start.

I guess new thermal paste couldn't hurt either. Anyway, thanks!
If you use opengl with vertex streaming hack and dsp lle on thread i think a 4.2 ghz overclock will be enough for most of the game. Other wise probably you would need 4.5.
If you want a less expensive heatsink, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is basically half an NH-D14, both physically and in price. Should get you to 4.2 GHz easily, if I'm not utterly mistaken. I'd go for the Noctua, though, in case it can't get you to 4.2 or 4.2 isn't enough.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-mast...212e20pkr2
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd14
On sandy bridge it should get you to 4.5GHz no problem.