Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Water Cooling help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(10-19-2013, 05:53 AM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2013, 05:45 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-18-2013, 11:54 AM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-18-2013, 11:51 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]But you could get a faster system without water cooling >.> (even with OC)
I want to overclock this cpu until Kaveri comes out. Then I will replace the cpu. I want to water cool. It's not really about overclocking its more about me wanting to water cool my computer.
If you're desperate, you could probably just put some bits of garden hose and some LED lights, and decorate them and pretend it's water cooling. This could cost as little as £10, and then you'd be able to buy an Intel system powerful enough to beat that chip no matter how much you overclocked it.
I don't WANT a intel system. Does anyone get that? I want to have Kaveri so getting a intel system is counter-productive. I don't need to beat a intel system. I don't play any heavy games so I will get full speed in all the games I do play. (The only Wii/GC games I really play are Brawl/Melee)
No, it's a stupid concept. Why would we understand it?
(10-19-2013, 06:03 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2013, 05:53 AM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2013, 05:45 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-18-2013, 11:54 AM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-18-2013, 11:51 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]But you could get a faster system without water cooling >.> (even with OC)
I want to overclock this cpu until Kaveri comes out. Then I will replace the cpu. I want to water cool. It's not really about overclocking its more about me wanting to water cool my computer.
If you're desperate, you could probably just put some bits of garden hose and some LED lights, and decorate them and pretend it's water cooling. This could cost as little as £10, and then you'd be able to buy an Intel system powerful enough to beat that chip no matter how much you overclocked it.
I don't WANT a intel system. Does anyone get that? I want to have Kaveri so getting a intel system is counter-productive. I don't need to beat a intel system. I don't play any heavy games so I will get full speed in all the games I do play. (The only Wii/GC games I really play are Brawl/Melee)
No, it's a stupid concept. Why would we understand it?
Please tell me why it's stupid.
Because AMD's single/lightly-threaded performance has been awful lately, thus they're shit for Dolphin? (And it's been showing up that way on plenty of non-Dolphin benchmarks?)

In your case, though, I think it's perfectly acceptable to just go for the water-cooling loop if you're not playing any 4670K-tier games. It's a nice learning experience, too – water-cooling isn't exactly straightforward.
(10-19-2013, 12:12 PM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]Because AMD's single/lightly-threaded performance has been awful lately, thus they're shit for Dolphin? (And it's been showing up that way on plenty of non-Dolphin benchmarks?)

In your case, though, I think it's perfectly acceptable to just go for the water-cooling loop if you're not playing any 4670K-tier games. It's a nice learning experience, too – water-cooling isn't exactly straightforward.

Exactly. People just recommend upgrading when I have absolutely no reason to. I could play the games I want to at full speed at stock so why would I upgrade? It really makes absolutely no sense.
I think the main reason they are saying that is because a decent open loop water cooling system would cost as much as upgrading would and offer significantly less benefit in every application. Not just dolphin. Upgrading would yield much better bang for your buck regardless of whether you "need" it.

Now I do find it a bit ridiculous that nobody actually tried to answer your question and so I am going to offer to help you. However before I do that I would like to make sure that you fully consider your options and their effects before you jump into this and I would highly advise you follow the advice that everyone else here is giving you. If you are still absolutely sure you want to go through with this I won't stand in your way. Here are some points you should consider first though:

Cons:
1. Air cooling is MUCH more cost efficient. You will usually need to spend at least $240 to build a water cooling system that can compete with the performance of a top of the line $80 air cooler. Yeah.....big difference. You will need to spend a fortune to build a water cooling system that beats air cooling in either sheer thermal performance or noise efficiency (thermal performance per unit of loudness).
2. Air cooling is MUCH more space efficient. A good water cooling system will take up a lot of space. You'll likely end up with a large radiator, large reservoir, medium size waterblocks, and the tubing. If you thought cable management is a bitch wait till you try to water cool multiple components and organize the tubing. You can get the same performance out a much smaller air cooler. I hope you have a big case.
3. Open loop systems are much more expensive than closed loop systems. You need an open loop system for what you're trying to do. Cheaping out on parts for an open loop system is a really really bad idea so you have little hope of building a cheap system even if you're willing to skimp on thermal performance or noise.
4. Air cooling is much safer. Water + electronics = bad. Enough said. If you do go through with this make sure you test the loop for leaks for 24 hours outside of the case before installing it into the case.
5. Water cooling is time consuming and a pain in the ass. Expect to spend a lot of time planning this thing and a lot of time building and testing it before its even up and running. You will periodically need to do water top offs/changes. Depending on how you installed the system and what type of case you have this can be a royal pain in the ass. And every time you need to disassemble or reassemble the system it's going to take a long time and you'll need to be extremely careful not to let water leak onto anything while you're disconnecting the tubing. It's not fun. Trust me.
6. Even if you do spend $250-450 on a good system the performance benefits are fairly minimal. Expect a 5-10 C drop in temperature or a 200MHz higher overclock. Congrats on spending an extra $160 on cooling for a 5% increase in performance.

Pros:
1. It looks really freaking cool.
2. If you spend enough money is can outperform air cooling in thermal performance and noise efficiency.
3. It can cool many components from one centralized system. Which I guess is kind of cool.
4. It can be a valuable learning experience. Especially if you have no experience with plumbing.

Common misconceptions:
1. "I'm saving money long term because I don't need to buy air coolers for everything, only a waterblock." Waterblocks cost as much as air coolers do for CPUs, GPUs, or whatever else you might be trying to water cool.
2. "I'm saving money long term because waterblocks last longer." Waterblocks have roughly the same long term compatibility as air coolers do.
3. "Even though I have absolutely no experience with any of this I don't need to do any prior planning. I can just follow a guide." This can sometimes be true but in most cases you will still need to do a lot of planning before you even start picking out your parts. If you don't know how to sketch out a diagram of your intended design this gets much trickier.
4. "But.....but I can cool many things with one system. That has to be beneficial right?" See point 1. It doesn't save you any money. On top of that the more components you connect to the system the less effective the system becomes at cooling those components since it has more energy to remove per second. If you want to maximize your cpu overclock for example you should not connect your GPUs to the loop.

Still interested?
(10-19-2013, 12:55 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I think the main reason they are saying that is because a decent open loop water cooling system would cost as much as upgrading would and offer significantly less benefit in every application. Not just dolphin. Upgrading would yield much better bang for your buck regardless of whether you "need" it.

Now I do find it a bit ridiculous that nobody actually tried to answer your question and so I am going to offer to help you. However before I do that I would like to make sure that you fully consider your options and their effects before you jump into this and I would highly advise you follow the advice that everyone else here is giving you. If you are still absolutely sure you want to go through with this I won't stand in your way. Here are some points you should consider first though:

Cons:
1. Air cooling is MUCH more cost efficient. You will usually need to spend at least $240 to build a water cooling system that can compete with the performance of a top of the line $80 air cooler. Yeah.....big difference. You will need to spend a fortune to build a water cooling system that beats air cooling in either sheer thermal performance or noise efficiency (thermal performance per unit of loudness).
2. Air cooling is MUCH more space efficient. A good water cooling system will take up a lot of space. You'll likely end up with a large radiator, large reservoir, medium size waterblocks, and the tubing. If you thought cable management is a bitch wait till you try to water cool multiple components and organize the tubing. You can get the same performance out a much smaller air cooler. I hope you have a big case.
3. Open loop systems are much more expensive than closed loop systems. You need an open loop system for what you're trying to do. Cheaping out on parts for an open loop system is a really really bad idea so you have little hope of building a cheap system even if you're willing to skimp on thermal performance or noise.
4. Air cooling is much safer. Water + electronics = bad. Enough said. If you do go through with this make sure you test the loop for leaks for 24 hours outside of the case before installing it into the case.
5. Water cooling is time consuming and a pain in the ass. Expect to spend a lot of time planning this thing and a lot of time building and testing it before its even up and running. You will periodically need to do water top offs/changes. Depending on how you installed the system and what type of case you have this can be a royal pain in the ass. And every time you need to disassemble or reassemble the system it's going to take a long time and you'll need to be extremely careful not to let water leak onto anything while you're disconnecting the tubing. It's not fun. Trust me.
6. Even if you do spend $250-450 on a good system the performance benefits are fairly minimal. Expect a 5-10 C drop in temperature or a 200MHz higher overclock. Congrats on spending an extra $160 on cooling for a 5% increase in performance.

Pros:
1. It looks really freaking cool.
2. If you spend enough money is can outperform air cooling in thermal performance and noise efficiency.
3. It can cool many components from one centralized system. Which I guess is kind of cool.
4. It can be a valuable learning experience. Especially if you have no experience with plumbing.

Common misconceptions:
1. "I'm saving money long term because I don't need to buy air coolers for everything, only a waterblock." Waterblocks cost as much as air coolers do for CPUs, GPUs, or whatever else you might be trying to water cool.
2. "I'm saving money long term because waterblocks last longer." Waterblocks have roughly the same long term compatibility as air coolers do.
3. "Even though I have absolutely no experience with any of this I don't need to do any prior planning. I can just follow a guide." This can sometimes be true but in most cases you will still need to do a lot of planning before you even start picking out your parts. If you don't know how to sketch out a diagram of your intended design this gets much trickier.
4. "But.....but I can cool many things with one system. That has to be beneficial right?" See point 1. It doesn't save you any money. On top of that the more components you connect to the system the less effective the system becomes at cooling those components since it has more energy to remove per second. If you want to maximize your cpu overclock for example you should not connect your GPUs to the loop.

Still interested?
Yep. I'm still interested. I'm not buying this any time soon so I will have plenty of time to plan. I don't want a water cooling system just to overclock. I want one because 1. It will look cool 2. It will cool my gpu and cpu 3. It will look cool. 4. It looks amazing.
Since this is your first system I would advise getting a kit. You'll still be able to add your GPUs to the loop just as easily.

Unless you're still hellbent on a completely custom system?
(10-19-2013, 01:16 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Since this is your first system I would advise getting a kit. You'll still be able to add your GPUs to the loop just as easily.

Unless you're still hellbent on a completely custom system?
A kit would be fine.
Something like this would work well then (swiftech is a reputable brand and amazon is a reputable retailer): http://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-H20-220-U...07&sr=1-16

The liquid cooling market has been dying slowly over the last decade so most PC part retailers have a painfully limited selection of parts and kits. AIO systems are still widely sold, that's about it. If you want to get fancy you'll likely need to use frozencpu.com
how hot do you expect this thing to get?

I've been running a 960T, unlocked 2 extra cores and oced it to 3.5 Ghz on air and I don't get that hot
230 FSB x 15 @ 1.4v on 6 cores and I don't ever see much above 50C
Pages: 1 2