Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Questions about PC building for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ZoneMenu

I'm trying to build a system, on a limited budget, that will do anything I need it too, including PC gaming and emulating. As such I've been trying to balance out my parts to make a well rounded PC, but I'm still new at this.

My parts list so far is:
Intel i5-4670k 3.4 GHz
Kingston HyperX blu 4GB (planning to add a second module later, for non-Dolphin purposes)
EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost Superclocked 2GB
Western Digital Black 1TB Hard Drive
Asus Z87-K Motherboard

From what I can tell this is pretty alright for at least running Dolphin, but I've got a couple of questions. For one the most interesting thing about emulating is being able to up the IR and using Antialiasing filters and HD texture packs. So I'd like to know if my build can handle at least 1080 resolution in the games in my list below... and my second question is, if I don't intend to overclock very much, is it still worth getting the 4670k and the Z87 motherboard? Because if I can run my games fine with the cheaper non-overclocking parts it would be fine.

The Gamecube games I am interested in are:
Pokemon Colosseum
Pokemon XD
Wario World
Super Mario Sunshine
Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door
F-Zero GX
Twilight Princess

As for Wii games, the only game that's really interesting me is The Last Story. But only if I can emulate it at a decent framerate, and even then I don't own a copy to rip yet.

Mainly, I just hate the way the Gamecube looks on a modern TV and want to make it look even better. If anyone can answer my questions or give me some advice, I'd appreciate it.
(10-16-2013, 07:33 AM)ZoneMenu Wrote: [ -> ]I'm trying to build a system, on a limited budget, that will do anything I need it too, including PC gaming and emulating. As such I've been trying to balance out my parts to make a well rounded PC, but I'm still new at this.

My parts list so far is:
Intel i5-4670k 3.4 GHz
Kingston HyperX blu 4GB (planning to add a second module later, for non-Dolphin purposes)
EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost Superclocked 2GB
Western Digital Black 1TB Hard Drive
Asus Z87-K Motherboard

From what I can tell this is pretty alright for at least running Dolphin, but I've got a couple of questions. For one the most interesting thing about emulating is being able to up the IR and using Antialiasing filters and HD texture packs. So I'd like to know if my build can handle at least 1080 resolution in the games in my list below... and my second question is, if I don't intend to overclock very much, is it still worth getting the 4670k and the Z87 motherboard? Because if I can run my games fine with the cheaper non-overclocking parts it would be fine.

The Gamecube games I am interested in are:
Pokemon Colosseum
Pokemon XD
Wario World
Super Mario Sunshine
Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door
F-Zero GX
Twilight Princess

As for Wii games, the only game that's really interesting me is The Last Story. But only if I can emulate it at a decent framerate, and even then I don't own a copy to rip yet.

Mainly, I just hate the way the Gamecube looks on a modern TV and want to make it look even better. If anyone can answer my questions or give me some advice, I'd appreciate it.
You need that 4670k if you want to play the last story. You can do 4x ir in most if not all games.
Super Mario Sunshine: Playable in almost all the points of the game.

Pokemons: A.f.a.i.k., those are kind of demanding.

PPTTYD: Will be playable, but be aware with the hangs!

The Last Story: NEVER! No one´s PC (even the most powerful anyone can build) can run this at full speed;and if that hit playable ones, it´s nothing but a miracle.

You may want to look at the wiki page of F-Zero.

ZoneMenu

(10-16-2013, 07:38 AM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]You need that 4670k if you want to play the last story. You can do 4x ir in most if not all games.
Guess it's worth paying an extra $30 for anyway, then. Thanks!

(10-16-2013, 07:39 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Super Mario Sunshine: Playable in almost all the points of the game.

Pokemons: A.f.a.i.k., those are kind of demanding.

PPTTYD: Will be playable, but be aware with the hangs!

The Last Story: NEVER! No one´s PC (even the most powerful anyone can build) can run this at full speed;and if that hit playable ones, it´s nothing but a miracle.

You may want to look at the wiki page of F-Zero.
I was expecting F-Zero and The Last Story to give me trouble but I think I could handle F-Zero's issues. Too bad Last Story might not run that well, at least with IR modifying anyway. Thanks for the help!
(10-16-2013, 07:53 AM)ZoneMenu Wrote: [ -> ]I was expecting F-Zero and The Last Story to give me trouble but I think I could handle F-Zero's issues. Too bad Last Story might not run that well, at least with IR modifying anyway

Both games will be fully playable even if you can't get constant full-speed
@LordVador: Except for the sound stuttering...ConfusedTongue

ZoneMenu

(10-16-2013, 09:24 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Both games will be fully playable even if you can't get constant full-speed
I can deal with stuff like that. Thanks

(10-16-2013, 09:38 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]@LordVador: Except for the sound stuttering...ConfusedTongue
Curses, foiled again
@O.P.: Of course, there´s a way to improve the sound so it stops stuttering (OpenAL with a relatively high latency).
If he overclocks the i5 as far as he can get it, he shouldn't need much latency at all. It won't really be a problem.