Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Overclocking Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I was messing with some options in the BIOS of an old PC that has a Pentium Dual-Core. I found that the only way to O.C. was raising the FSB frequency. According to the BIOS help info, it should be able to hit up to 500 MHz (that used with a 10x core multiplier equals 5.0 GHz).

The thing is that getting past the 223 MHz FSB (10x multiplier: 2.23 GHz) the system won´t boot. So I blew down the multiplier to 6 and started to raise the FSB, and noticed that it could hit up to 250 MHz.

I have just restablished the frequency to 223 MHz to check the VCore, and it was 1.3.

Which voltage do I need to O.C. at least to 2.60 GHz (using 10x multiplier)?

Thanks in advance.
Which exact cpu model?

If it's a pentium dual core not pentium D there is no way you will be able to hit 5GHz stable even with liquid cooling. It sounds like its a pentium dual core. I can't answer any questions about voltage or frequency without at least knowing which cpu you have.
(10-14-2013, 07:05 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Which exact cpu model?

If it's a pentium dual core not pentium D there is no way you will be able to hit 5GHz stable even with liquid cooling. It sounds like its a pentium dual core. I can't answer any questions about voltage or frequency without at least knowing which cpu you have.
It´s exactly the E2180
Don't go above 1.45v on core and 1.4v on FSB. With sufficient cooling 3GHz maybe even 3.33GHz should be doable (300MHz FSB 10x multi). 2.6GHz is probably doable at 1.35v core 1.3v FSB. What are your temperatures?
Well, that depends in how high the CPU clock is, if I´m not wrong.

Before the CPU was overclocked, it had a temp of 25-36 degrees.

The temp right now (using 223 MHz FSB and 10x multiplier) is 40 degrees.

And I didn´t know that the FSB voltage has to be considered too. Bad thing is that the program the PC uses for the temps and volts (MSI Dual Core Center) doesn´t show the FSB voltage.

Other question, does the RAM frequency has to do anything with the CPU clock speed? I mean, if the CPU clock is way too high for the RAM to be stable with.
Are you measured the temperature in Fahrenheit or Celsius? Are you measuring it at idle or full load?

Why are you overclocking with a windows application instead of the bios setup?
1- It was in Celsius.

2- I did the O.C. in the BIOS, I only use the program to look the voltage and the temps. I usually control the cooler too.

3- I measured the temperature when the CPU wasn´t doing anything (suppose that´s what "idle" means).

When using Dolphin it never gets past the 60 degrees (all the temps mentioned here are in Celsius) in TCase and never get past 75 in TJunction.

For the TJunction I used RealTemp, since Dual Core Center only measures the TCase temps.
Idle temps are useless for this. You need to run a stress test on all of the cores for a significant amount of time. Prime95 is one of the most common applications for doing this. You need to monitor your temperatures while doing this and I would say wait around 15 minutes for the temps to settle before recording the measurements. 75 C TJunction is a bit hot. What type of cooling unit do you have on it?

Voltage should be set manually and measured through the bios setup.

DJBarry004 Wrote:Other question, does the RAM frequency has to do anything with the CPU clock speed?

If the multiplier is linked yes. I would highly recommend unlinking it and setting it manually.

And it can affect cpu stability if you're going for very high end overclocking. I'm not going to elaborate on that unless you need me to. For the type of overclocking that you're doing it shouldn't matter much.

DJBarry004 Wrote:I mean, if the CPU clock is way too high for the RAM to be stable with.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here. If you're asking if a high cpu overclock will cause the ram to become unstable well I suppose that depends on semantics. When we say that the cpu is unstable we say that because it's spitting out incorrect values into the RAM (memory errors). That is essentially what instability means and how we check for it. However the ram ICs themselves and the IMC may in fact remain fully stable during these errors if they are not the cause of them. The RAM and IMC may be behaving normally even when the values being returned are wrong. So I guess technically "no" is the more correct answer to that question.
1- I have the Intel stock cooler.

2- The mobo is I945GCM7-L (that has the American Megatrends BIOS). BIOS version is 3.3 and I don´t see anything but the VCore/AC current volts in there (3V, 5V, 12V, ...).

3- I found other thing in the setup: I can set the DRAM/FSB ratio (1:1, 1:1.33, 1:1.67). When in the lowest ratio possible the DRAM should hit 533 MHz, which is normal when in stock.

If the RAM frequencies supported are needed for you to help, I´ll put them here:

From lower to higher: 400 MHz (underclocked), 533 MHz (stock, normal DDR2 speed), 667 MHz, 1333 MHz and 1666 MHz.

I´ll try the stress test later, don´t have much time now.Tongue
1. You'll need something better. Much better. LGA775 stock coolers are garbage.

2. Take some pictures so I know what you're talking about.

3. Are there any options to unlink the ratio?
Pages: 1 2