Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Massive FPS boost.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

coliver80

Not sure if this is the proper place for this however Ive not seen this posted else where. First Im using ubuntu 13.04, FX8350, 8 gigs memory, nvidia460 msi hawk. Dolphin 4.0
Originally I was using a AMD1090t. Un over clocked I would get performance as follows.
SMG 40ish fps
Mario Kart Wii 30-40fps
DKC Returns 40-50Fps
So I over clocked the 1090t through bios using msi oc genie. Oc to 3.6 ghz. Performance improved approx. 10 fps across the board. So I figured if I replaced the 1090t with a FX8350 running stock 4.0 Ghz I'd be good... wrong. I was barely getting the frame rate of the oc 1090T. So I went back into the bios and was concidering overclocking but was worried about heat.. so I instead DISABLED AMD cool and Quiet. Thats all I did.. Now this is the result
SMG 60 fps(even during flying intos to levels)
Mario Kart Wii 60fps(no more stuttering audio either)
DKC Returns 55-60 fps.
Played many more games with great results. Played for 2 hours and cpu temp never went above 44.
Is this an issue with Linux and cool and Quiet?? Why does the cpu not throttle up?? If this is typical it might be worth putting in the performance guide for those running linux and amd. Great improvement.. Fell in love with Dolphin all over again!!
p.s. Tried this on 2 different msi boards.. a 970 chipset and a 760 chipset.. same results.
What kernel version are you running? uname -a at the terminal.

coliver80

3.8.0-31-lowlatency
Not familiar with that build string. It's certainly new enough to have the modules built in though. Are they enabled?

http://changelog.complete.org/archives/5...cy-scaling

Look at lsmod and see if you can find the k8 module and load it if not. Then check some of those settings to see if it is scaling dynamically during load. Without the module loaded, I bet it just stays at base frequency and doesn't do anything. Ultimately it's more sensible to leave that feature turned off if you use this heavily for Dolphin or gaming. If you use it for other things, it might make sense to turn back on if you can get it to work properly.
(10-09-2013, 10:50 AM)rokclimb15 Wrote: [ -> ]Not familiar with that build string. It's certainly new enough to have the modules built in though. Are they enabled?

http://changelog.complete.org/archives/5...cy-scaling

Look at lsmod and see if you can find the k8 module and load it if not. Then check some of those settings to see if it is scaling dynamically during load. Without the module loaded, I bet it just stays at base frequency and doesn't do anything. Ultimately it's more sensible to leave that feature turned off if you use this heavily for Dolphin or gaming. If you use it for other things, it might make sense to turn back on if you can get it to work properly.
Don't you mean k10? Original phenoms and athlons were k8.

EDIT: Nevermind you would need a piledriver or bulldozer module.

coliver80

I'll probably just leave it how it is. I do a lot of video editing, picture editing, mapping software and gaming. All these things have improved greatly and temps never get above 44 degrees. I did read somewhere that someone else experienced the same type of thing(not with dolphin just with Linux) Said that there was something called cpu frequency manager(sorry still learning Linux) that was suppose to regulate cpu frequency according to demand. He continued to say that the problem with this was that it would only up the frequency of the processor after it hit a certain % of load on the cpu, so it you have a 6 core or 8 core processor and you have a program that only uses 1 or 2 cores the cpu manager will not up the frequency because it looks at the processor as a whole and you still have 6 core idling.

He used this as an example:
You have a 8 core processor.
The manager idles them @ 1600 Mhz
In order for the manager to step up the cpu the cpu needs to hit 50% load
If you have a program running on 2 cores and those 2 cores hit full load at 1600 mhz, the cpu manager still wont up the frequency because thats only 25% load on the cpu as a whole.

He then went on to say that it was an issue with AMD not Intel and that you could fix it with a bunch of sudo commands to lower the minimum load before the processor began to step up.

I have no idea if what he says is true.. and I didn't due the sudo stuff.. I just disabled it through the bios.. and now my machine is running like a dream.... any ideas???

If this does prove true on other Dolphin users AMD machines it should be put in the performance guide..
Throttling should be done at the hardware level and should be done on a per core basis.

coliver80 Wrote:If this does prove true on other Dolphin users AMD machines it should be put in the performance guide..

We've had a lot of people with bulldozer/piledriver cpus benchmark their cpus here and they've all performed normally. You're the first person here to have this issue. It's likely an issue related to your specific bios or linux distro.

coliver80

Well I'll assume its a kernal thing since I swapped boards and it did a the same thing. What are the normal results for a FX8350, what I'm getting with or without cool and quiet??
I've noticed that if you check Accurate vBeam, and MMU Speed hack at the same time some games will give a decent boost
Pages: 1 2