Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Random FPS drop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was running Wind Waker on Dolphin 4.0x64 at 30fps and 100% all day, then I shut off my computer for the night. When I went to play it again today, the fps went down to 18-20 and only 50-60%. I didn't change any settings and this has happened before. Anyone know why this could happen?

Im running Windows 8 x64, Intel Core i7, and Nvidia GeForce GT 650M

edit: forgot to say every game was running at ful speed, and now no game works at full speed. (super smash bros melee, wind waker, four swords)
There are several things that can be the issue:
1. Is your laptop plugged in? If not, plug it in. Laptops will change to an energy saving setting when you're unplugged.
2. Check your CPU temperatures and speed and let us know. You might be overheating. Monitor them using CPU-Z for the speeds and RealTemp for the temperatures.

If all fails, you can change the audio back-end to HLE by editting the game ini.
Right-click the game in Dolphin and go to properties. In the bottom-left, click on Edit Config.
In the config window add the following and save it.
Code:
[Core]
DSPHLE = True

This will increase your performance, but you will experience black screens at times.
(10-07-2013, 05:40 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]There are several things that can be the issue:
1. Is your laptop plugged in? If not, plug it in. Laptops will change to an energy saving setting when you're unplugged.
2. Check your CPU temperatures and speed and let us know. You might be overheating. Monitor them using CPU-Z for the speeds and RealTemp for the temperatures.

If all fails, you can change the audio back-end to HLE by editting the game ini.
Right-click the game in Dolphin and go to properties. In the bottom-left, click on Edit Config.
Code:
[Core]
DSPHLE = True

This will increase your performance, but you will experience black screens at times.
I've tried using it plugged in and not plugged in, that didn't seem to affect the fps at all. The temp is very low, its not even warm to the touch. And DSPHL is already set to True. I feel like maybe the graphics card or processor aren't running at full speed anymore? In Wind Waker, when I enter a house the fps goes back up to 30, but I wasnt having that issue at all before.
(10-07-2013, 05:40 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]There are several things that can be the issue:

Code:
[Core]
DSPHLE = True

Why do you suggest editing game configs when he's experiencing general slowdown? Game configs really should only be edited by people who know what they're doing. Inexperienced people will just mess up everything and complain to us about how stuff doesn't work when they just broke it themselves.
The core speed is at 1198MHz, the multiplier is at x 12.0(12-34), and the Bus speed is at 99.80MHz. Is that right? Or should it be higher?
(10-07-2013, 05:52 AM)krisstastic Wrote: [ -> ]I've tried using it plugged in and not plugged in, that didn't seem to affect the fps at all. The temp is very low, its not even warm to the touch. And DSPHL is already set to True. I feel like maybe the graphics card or processor aren't running at full speed anymore? In Wind Waker, when I enter a house the fps goes back up to 30, but I wasnt having that issue at all before.
Like I said, monitor them and let us know what they are. Where exactly are you getting these slowdowns in the game?
What are your settings by the way? Post them as screenshots.

(10-07-2013, 05:56 AM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]Why do you suggest editing game configs when he's experiencing general slowdown? Game configs really should only be edited by people who know what they're doing. Inexperienced people will just mess up everything and complain to us about how stuff doesn't work when they just broke it themselves.
That's why I told him exactly what needs to be done. If they can't figure it out themselves, then they need someone who knows how it works to teach it to them. Besides, it's not that hard to use.
But yes, if they mess up things in there it's their fault.

And he edited his post and stated that it happens with all games before I posted mine. I posted that with the intention of Wind Waker being the only game slowing down.

(10-07-2013, 06:06 AM)krisstastic Wrote: [ -> ]The core speed is at 1198MHz, the multiplier is at x 12.0(12-34), and the Bus speed is at 99.80MHz. Is that right? Or should it be higher?
Sorry. I should've been more specific. Have the game running and check what your CPU speed and temperatures are then.
(10-07-2013, 06:08 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-07-2013, 05:52 AM)krisstastic Wrote: [ -> ]I've tried using it plugged in and not plugged in, that didn't seem to affect the fps at all. The temp is very low, its not even warm to the touch. And DSPHL is already set to True. I feel like maybe the graphics card or processor aren't running at full speed anymore? In Wind Waker, when I enter a house the fps goes back up to 30, but I wasnt having that issue at all before.
Like I said, monitor them and let us know what they are. Where exactly are you getting these slowdowns in the game?
What are your settings by the way? Post them as screenshots.

(10-07-2013, 05:56 AM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]Why do you suggest editing game configs when he's experiencing general slowdown? Game configs really should only be edited by people who know what they're doing. Inexperienced people will just mess up everything and complain to us about how stuff doesn't work when they just broke it themselves.
That's why I told him exactly what needs to be done. If they can't figure it out themselves, then they need someone who knows how it works to teach it to them. Besides, it's not that hard to use.
But yes, if they mess up things in there it's their fault.

And he edited his post and stated that it happens with all games before I posted mine. I posted that with the intention of Wind Waker being the only game slowing down.

(10-07-2013, 06:06 AM)krisstastic Wrote: [ -> ]The core speed is at 1198MHz, the multiplier is at x 12.0(12-34), and the Bus speed is at 99.80MHz. Is that right? Or should it be higher?
Sorry. I should've been more specific. Have the game running and check what your CPU speed and temperatures are then.
The slow down is pretty much during all gameplay but less when there are less things on screen, which I know is usually an issue but like I said, I wasn't having these problems before.

Settings under config: Enable Dual Core checked, Idle skipping checked, cheats checked, framelimit set to auto,JIT recompiler. Audio is DSP HLE with DSound.

Graphics settings: Direct3D9, Nvidia GeForce GT 650M, Internal resolution is set to multiples of 640x528, anti-aliasing is none, Anisotropic x1, nothing else checked. Under hacks ive got ignore format changes checked, efb copies set to texture, external frame buffer disabled, other ive got cache display lists chekced.

for wind waker specifically ive got dual core, enable block merging and dsp hle mulation all checked.

Also those speeds are when the game is running.
Well you're not helping with not checking what your temps are, but if those clocks are really what you get when the game is running, then your CPU is throttling probably because it's overheating.
Your CPU should turbo up to 3.2GHz or so on two cores.
(10-07-2013, 06:37 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Well you're not helping with not checking what your temps are, but if those clocks are really what you get when the game is running, then your CPU is throttling probably because it's overheating.
Your CPU should turbo up to 3.2GHz or so on two cores.
The temp is staying between 48-51 C*
The temp is good, why your CPU is not boosting?
Pages: 1 2