Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Unexplainable performance boost
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

modhatter6811

I dont know why or how this is possible, but I found that raising my graphics to the max settings, gives me a huge performance boost when playing metroid prime. All the following settings are enabled, fps-auto, dual core, idle skipping, HLE, D3D9, Use Fullscreen (res 1024x768), 1x native, scaled EFB, 9xSSAA, AF x16, EFB to ram, Texture cache= fast, Fast depth Calculation, and OpenMp. External frame buffer is Disabled. My FPS=56-60 usually 60, drops briefly when loading, almost no stuttering at all. If I lower the SSAA, AF or both I get horrible FPS, lag, and severe stuttering. Any ideas why or how this is possible?
Your GPU was probably idling and when you increased the settings it went full power

modhatter6811

(10-07-2013, 12:45 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Your GPU was probably idling and when you increased the settings it went full power

This does seem like a fairly decent explaination, however, it wouldnt explain why this only seems to work on Metroid Prime, so far I've tested this with Metroid Prime 2, Wind waker and, Twilight Princess, and with these titles the opposite is true. I really hope a developer sees this thread, because as far as I can remember metroid prime never ran very well even on the most robust systems.