Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Playing Mario Party 4 while recording on Mac Pro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm using my dad's computer to play.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk8W3XttMPs

Here are the specs:

specs:

AMD Radeon HD 7950

16gb memory

processor:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro5,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Is this setup good enough to play Mario Party 4 and/or Paper Mario:TTYD while recording? If not, how can I improve my setup?
I can run Mario Party 4 fine without recording in 4x.
Both games aren't particularly demanding (MP4 is pretty lightweight too) so actually playing them fullspeed shouldn't be an issue. Recording them will add more stress to your computer, but as long as you have the extra cores/threads, I would think you'd do fine.
(10-07-2013, 12:56 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Both games aren't particularly demanding (MP4 is pretty lightweight too) so actually playing them fullspeed shouldn't be an issue. Recording them will add more stress to your computer, but as long as you have the extra cores/threads, I would think you'd do fine.
So how would I improve my setup..?
Depends. How high/what quality do you want to record at? Playing Dolphin isn't going to be a problem, but the recording software might cause the system to slowdown (thus reducing the game speed while playing and recording). If it's too much to record at 1080p, naturally try dropping down to 720p.
(10-07-2013, 06:34 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Depends. How high/what quality do you want to record at? Playing Dolphin isn't going to be a problem, but the recording software might cause the system to slowdown (thus reducing the game speed while playing and recording). If it's too much to record at 1080p, naturally try dropping down to 720p.
I record at 480p with Quicktime with Soundflower and wJoy running in the background at "High" quality.
I set Dolphin rendering to 1x.
uyjulian Wrote:I record at 480p with Quicktime with Soundflower and wJoy running in the background at "High" quality.

In that case, you should be fine then.
(10-07-2013, 07:57 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
' Wrote:I record at 480p with Quicktime with Soundflower and wJoy running in the background at "High" quality.

In that case, you should be fine then.
Watch the video. I barely get 60FPS. Is there any way to get full 60FPS?
Perhaps you could turn down the video quality on your recording? I know it's only 480p right now, but maybe adding more compression would help.

Even though your CPU is old (it's based on the Nehalem microarchitecture) it's good enough to play, but obviously the issue is during the recording phase. There really isn't much you can do within Dolphin. If you're not using 4.0 or above, you should try it. Additionally, look into overclocking. On most Macs, I'm pretty sure it's not an option, but from what I gather, the Mac Pros are different (googling shows that people have OC'ed it before).
(10-07-2013, 12:28 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps you could turn down the video quality on your recording? I know it's only 480p right now, but maybe adding more compression would help.

Even though your CPU is old (it's based on the Nehalem microarchitecture) it's good enough to play, but obviously the issue is during the recording phase. There really isn't much you can do within Dolphin. If you're not using 4.0 or above, you should try it. Additionally, look into overclocking. On most Macs, I'm pretty sure it's not an option, but from what I gather, the Mac Pros are different (googling shows that people have OC'ed it before).
Maybe, I'll try that.

Thank you :-)