Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: hardware suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

dphs

I'm planning to build a htpc running linux with the capability to run dolphin.
My plan was to buy an Intel Pentium G3220, 4GB RAM and a graphics card or a cpu with a better integrated gpu. But I'm not sure which graphics card I have to choose.
What do I need to play Wii Sports, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros Brawl and New Super Mario and on which resolutions can I play?

I thought about a GTX650 Low Profile which would be good enough for at least 2xIR, right? What about the integrated HD Graphics in the Pentium or a HD4600 in an Core i3? I don't want to buy an extra graphics card if it's not necessary.
Coming from a Intel/Nvidia guy I would go for an AMD APU. The only game out of those 4 that might give you trouble with a high end APU is mario kart wii. The 6800K is a good choice.
If you wanna go a bit crazier, try finding something with an Intel i5-4670R (or 4570R, or 4770R) in it. That thing's a variant of the 4670K, the best medium/high-budget CPU for Dolphin; it's slightly slower and it's soldered into the socket (woo, BGA), but it has an Iris Pro 5200 (which benches equal to or just below a GTX 650M) instead of an HD 4600. That GPU should be more than adequate for 2x/3x IR in any game, and the CPU should be able to handle those games with ease.

The only comp I know of off the top of my head that has any of those three in it is the recently-refreshed lowest-end iMac (which has a 4570R). That said, you could probably find something suitable with one of those chips in it.
Those chips are extremely difficult to get your hands on at the moment. You might as well ask him to break into one of the fabs and steal the next prototype uarch at tapeout.
...I've gotta try that.

But, no, if Apple's already puttin' 'em in iMacs, they shouldn't be scarce for too much longer, given Apple's head-starts when it comes to getting new Intel chips.
They might use them for AIO systems but I highly doubt they will ever be sold as motherboard/cpu combos to the DIY market. There is no market for them there.

pauldacheez Wrote:if Apple's already puttin' 'em in iMacs, they shouldn't be scarce for too much longer, given Apple's head-starts when it comes to getting new Intel chips.

This logic doesn't apply here. And last I checked they tend to behind the competition when it comes to getting new chips, not ahead. It doesn't make sense to use an R series cpu in a regular desktop which is why the other manufacturers aren't using them.
6800K is a solid choice. My local MicroCenter is selling them for about $125 if you buy a socket FM2 board with it. Pretty nice deal.

dphs

Thanks for the replys. And what is a good Intel build? It seems that AMDs linux drivers aren't that good and bitstreaming of hd audio does not work under linux, which is imnportant for me.
A dedicated graphic card has to be a low profile variant.
If you can find one, look for that 4670R that was suggested. That and the 6800K have embedded graphics, so no discrete card is needed.
@dphs

If you have to go that route either grab an i5 haswell with an nvidia GPU if you can afford it or go with your original plan. An i3 haswell with an nvidia GPU would be a solid middle ground. I'm pretty sure the highest nvidia card that has a low profile version is the GT 640. Which is a solid card for dolphin. I have one in my HTPC.
Pages: 1 2