Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Revison Review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here I will be comparing two 32-bit revisions on Windows XP that produce drastically different results for me. I will be reviewing R3789 and R3903 with two games, Wii Sports and Burnout 2, both games were tested using the exact same configurations. (These are not the only two games that show these results, I'd say 90% of my games run much faster and smoother on the older revision tested here)

As you can see from these shots, R3789 runs much faster than R3903. In my opinion, somewhere in-between these revisions there was a commit (or series of commits) that slowed things down a lot, at least on my machine.

Here are the screens. They are side-by-side comparisons with both revisions at the exact same point in each game. The only difference is, one revision works well and the other is pathetically slow.

Wii Sports menu. (Fast) R3789

[Image: smallfast1.jpg]

Wii Sports menu. (Slow) R3903

[Image: smallslow.jpg]

Wii Sports in-game. (Fast) R3789

[Image: smallfast4.jpg]

Wii Sports in-game. (Slow) R3903

[Image: smallslow3.jpg]

Burnout 2 title screen (Fast) R3789

[Image: smallfast2.jpg]

Burnout 2 title screen (Slow) R3903

[Image: smallslow1.jpg]

Burnout 2 loading screen (Fast) R3789

[Image: smallfast3.jpg]

Burnout 2 loading screen (Slow) R3903

[Image: smallslow2.jpg]

It's tough, it's hard to know at what point things started to speed up or slow down without going through each and every revision before and after the ones tested.
xD, I noticed the exact opposite of it. 3903 works ways faster than 3789 (+-10) for me. Did you use the same settings? Seems that R3789 has disabled Other Audio (Throttle) cause of the FPS that are more than 60.
Anyway, can you tell me your hardware? I'd like to test this with wii-sports for myself, I'm going to post my fps in revision 3903, although I don't have 3789 anymore...
Here's where you can get R3789 http://www.xtemu.com/forum/index.php?aut...&cat_id=20

My system specs are in my sig.

I used the same settings for both revisions.

[Image: 84689497.jpg]
Thanks, I'm not at home yet, but when I come home, I will try it out. Well, I'm sure I will get more FPS as I have a Core2Duo E8400, but I will be able to say if the fps are really getting lower in the new revision.

Edit: Just one thing, I think enabling Dual-Core with a Single-Core CPU isn't very senceful^^
It's tough for you to really compare because your PC is so much better than mine. What I really need is someone with a single-core PC to run these tests because your processor is so strong, it probably won't make a difference what revision you use.
I can disable dual-core and maybe underclock my cpu... and afaik wii sports ran not fullspeed last time I tested it... well, I'll see, if its really only half fps for you in the new revision, I'll notice... if not... it's me who is wasting time actually^^
try turning off Other Audio on the DSP plugin. I noticed that was causing most of my slow downs.
I guess you didn't notice the pic of the configuration I was using, it is off.
Here is another example of how drastic the speed difference is for me in these revisions. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on here? Did anyone do any testing? Any of the devs care to respond?

[Image: 55899159.jpg]

[Image: 68296373.jpg]
File an issue and hopefully Nolan Check will take a look at your evidence (just link here for the pics) and be convinced he needs to spruce his recent commits up...
Trust me, it is annoying a few people...
Pages: 1 2