Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: ASUS Desktop good enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I guess I should rephrase what I said:

Would the whole computer need more than just the EVO when overclocking [just] the CPU? I told one of my friends that I might overclock the CPU of my next computer and he said I'm going to need more than just a CPU fan to keep the entire computer cooled down. Like an entire air or water cooling system, he specifically recommended air though because apparently you have to be extremely careful with water in your PC and it's a pain to take care of (though I did hear it does a better job than air cooling).
You'll need a single case fan, which you probably already have.

The Hyper 212 EVO is an air cooling system. It cools about as well as any off the shelf water cooling system. There's another bigger, more expensive air cooler that will beat most off the shelf water cooling, but it's overkill and more money. Only custom water cooling would be better, and that's about half the cost of your whole rig. Also not needed for your overclock.
I apologize in advance, because this may be a dumb request, but I'm curious...

Could anyone recommend me a laptop that can run dolphin the way I described in my first post in this thread that's also under $900?

I would greatly appreciate it. Smile
A.F.A.I.K., there´s no laptop that can currently handle games the way you are expecting.

But, for the GC ones you want, these will run perfectly/ with little drops/O.K.:

Luigi´s Mansion: a lightweight game. Even the A4-1450 can handle it.

LoZ: WW: lightweight game, too. Shouldn´t give youu a problem.

Mario Kart Double Dash: Will give you lots of problems if you don´t have a strong enough CPU for LLE audio. With HLE it will run almost perfect.

Don´t know "a sh*t" about the others.
(10-01-2013, 08:19 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]A.F.A.I.K., there´s no laptop that can currently handle games the way you are expecting.

But, for the GC ones you want, these will run perfectly/ with little drops/O.K.:

Luigi´s Mansion: a lightweight game. Even the A4-1450 can handle it.

LoZ: WW: lightweight game, too. Shouldn´t give youu a problem.

Mario Kart Double Dash: Will give you lots of problems if you don´t have a strong enough CPU for LLE audio. With HLE it will run almost perfect.

Don´t know "a sh*t" about the others.
Huh, I guess I should've known laptops wouldn't be as powerful.

Thank you for this info though, it helps me out a lot since I'm planning on buying a new PC. Big Grin

While I'm here, I might as well make an update on some of the games I want to be able to play:

I guess I kind of want to be able to some Wii games as well on top of GC and PS2 games, here's a list of some that I can think of that I might want to play:

Sonic Colors
Monster Hunter Tri
The Last Story
The Legend of Zelda: TP & SS
Super Mario Galaxy 1&2
Mario Kart Wii
Super Paper Mario
Donkey Kong Country Returns
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Xenoblade Chronicles
Metroid Prime 3
Rayman Origins
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Some more GC Games (sorry if I repeat some one's here):

Resident Evil
Wave Race: Blue Storm
Tales of Symphonia
Animal Crossing
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Metroid Prime
The Last Story, Super Mario Galaxy and maybe Xenoblade won't run perfectly on any sub-$2500 laptop. I'm pretty sure the Metroid series is also pretty demanding. Also, a certain part of Skyward Sword won't run at fullspeed on practically anything.
S.S.B.M. is an other lightweight game, which shouldn´t give you any problem. Smile
(10-01-2013, 09:39 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]The Last Story, Super Mario Galaxy and maybe Xenoblade won't run perfectly on any sub-$2500 laptop. I'm pretty sure the Metroid series is also pretty demanding. Also, a certain part of Skyward Sword won't run at fullspeed on practically anything.
What about a desktop >_> (perhaps maybe the latest build rockclimb15 and I were discussing about a bit earlier in the thread), my budget is $650-$700 for the computer alone.

$2500 is completely out of the question for me lol.
Can you stretch to $900? I promise you it will be worth it. If not $700 is still enough for a decent desktop. Just don't expect to run the more demanding games at fullspeed.
The last build I posted will run as fast as any desktop can currently do Dolphin and it was about $650. The only potential improvement might be a better power supply or cooling, but the PSU won't affect performance and more cooling won't help if the wafer you get can't clock any higher. Pair it with a graphics card of choice and it will do up to a resolution and featureset that is compatible with the card. The 440 you have is probably better than the HD4600 graphics, but you might try them both (the 4600 can be overclocked).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8