Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: ASUS Desktop good enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
To play all of your games on the list at full speed, you will need to overclock to about 4.3-4.4 GHz. It's really not very risky on the Haswell chips and Z87 boards. With proper cooling it shouldn't reduce the lifespan of the chip.

Another cooling system is mandatory to overclock. The stock cooler with the 4670K is terrible even at stock clock speeds. My most recent build in this thread includes my recommendation in the total price (Hyper 212 EVO). Your chip won't burn. It shuts itself down before it hits a harmful temperature. Even if you removed the cooler completely it would shut itself off before damage.
(09-27-2013, 06:50 AM)rokclimb15 Wrote: [ -> ]To play all of your games on the list at full speed, you will need to overclock to about 4.3-4.4 GHz. It's really not very risky on the Haswell chips and Z87 boards. With proper cooling it shouldn't reduce the lifespan of the chip.

Another cooling system is mandatory to overclock. The stock cooler with the 4670K is terrible even at stock clock speeds. My most recent build in this thread includes my recommendation in the total price (Hyper 212 EVO). Your chip won't burn. It shuts itself down before it hits a harmful temperature. Even if you removed the cooler completely it would shut itself off before damage.
Alright, thanks for the recommendation! Big Grin

Also, I found that my GPU is an "overclock edition" one so maybe that helps as well? Didn't really look up how to overclock a GPU yet, but I'll definitely try overclocking both the CPU and GPU once I get everything!
You can try O.C.ing your GPU, as long as you donĀ“t take it to vey high temps (well, higher than they usually are).
Usually an OC edition of a GPU has better cooling and an overclock applied out of the box. You can often push it more though.
(09-27-2013, 06:50 AM)rokclimb15 Wrote: [ -> ]To play all of your games on the list at full speed, you will need to overclock to about 4.3-4.4 GHz. It's really not very risky on the Haswell chips and Z87 boards. With proper cooling it shouldn't reduce the lifespan of the chip.

Actually, I checked the Hyper 212 EVO on Newegg and apparently it isn't compatible with a 1150 socket type.
Am I reading something wrong? If not, is there another fan you could recommend for overclocking?
Not true. Please post your source. I have one on mine.

Socket 1150 is externally physically the same as 1155, the socket changed to accommodate some internal changes like voltage regulator moving into the chip.
(09-27-2013, 12:21 PM)rokclimb15 Wrote: [ -> ]Not true. Please post your source. I have one on mine.

Socket 1150 is externally physically the same as 1155, the socket changed to accommodate some internal changes like voltage regulator moving into the chip.
My bad, I wasn't aware that 1150 socket type and 1155 are practically the same thing.

Nevermind! XD
They're not even close to the same thing. But they do use the same retention system/mounting hole positions. And that's all you need to use the same cooler.
(09-27-2013, 01:37 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]They're not even close to the same thing. But they do use the same retention system/mounting hole positions. And that's all you need to use the same cooler.

I guess I meant the fan compatibility for a 1155 socket type and a 1150 socket type are the same thing, not the actual socket types.
Anyway, would the EVO be enough to cool it while overclocking it to the point where games run at full speeds? Also, I heard from somwhere that the B85 mobo keeps the CPU from overclocking to its full potential (not sure if that's true or not), so I switched to a build with an ASUS Z87 mobo instead http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...CatId=4910. Would this build be a better choice for OCing? I know it has a Mid-Tower Case so maybe the components won't be able to vent as well.
Hyper 212 EVO is enough to overclock to the capacity of the wafer you receive (not every chip is the same). Z87 is a better choice. NV says that they fixed the B85 firmware loophole in Haswell, and Z87 is specified and designed for overclocking. I think the price difference is worth it personally.

That's a nice bundle. Get some AS or other aftermarket thermal compound and a Hyper 212 EVO. That should get you 2xIR at fullspeed in almost all areas of all games, with a few very limited exceptions (don't expect full speed in LoZ: TP Hyrule Field or TLS).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8